PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Laptop running fan all the time

inadaze
July 27th, 2009, 06:55 PM
Hey,
I just installed Ubuntu 9 on my Dell Latitude intel Core 2 Duo laptop. I have noticed that the fan is running 24/7 and the temp is in the high 70's (78 C). Am I overreacting or is there something to worry about here? Is there a way to control better the temp?

thanks
Jay

ZaHACKieL
July 27th, 2009, 07:10 PM
Well you should look for your exact processor model's temperature range but for a Core 2 Duo I think 78 may be too hot.

Do you only have Ubuntu in your laptop? If you have windows try it there and see if the same thing is happening.

Is your laptop receiving good ventilation? Check that the ventilation holes are not blocked.

Let me know

inadaze
July 27th, 2009, 08:02 PM
Hey,
I checked the expected temp for my laptop and they say around 50-60 C max. I do have windows on the pc as well, so I booted to that partition and the fan went a lot slower - can't even hear it. It cooled down a bit too.

Any suggestions?
cheers
Jay

Onesimus
July 27th, 2009, 08:08 PM
If you have a Dell you might want to consider installing gkrellm and i8kutils. this should give you better control over the fan.

What I find slightly strange is that you are seeing high temperatures when your fan is running all the time. Normally, you only get high temperatures when your fan fails to come on at all.

Search for Dell in Synaptic and you will see the utilities to install

Onesimus
July 27th, 2009, 08:12 PM
Having taken a closer look at previous threads its abit more complicated that I have suggested. Take a look at this thread
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=842775

inadaze
July 27th, 2009, 10:19 PM
Thanks for the link! I will try and install it and see if it helps.