PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] sonypi issues on a Sony Vaio VGN-BX196SP

Another Monkey
July 27th, 2009, 05:11 PM
Using Jaunty 9.04

This started out with me (unsuccessfully) trying to turn bluetooh off. I know I can issue
sudo /etc/init.d/bluetooth stop but that doesn't actually switch bluetooth off on the Vaio. Anyway, whilst looking for that solution I found out about "spicctrl" and so I installed it.

That didn't work because "sonypi" was not loaded, so I tried to load that.
$ sudo modprobe sonypi
FATAL: Error inserting sonypi (/lib/modules/2.6.28-13-generic/kernel/drivers/char/sonypi.ko): No such deviceThis is on a Vaio, so I have no clue what it thinks is missing and I am currently stuck with bluetooth always-on.

Anyone any idea how I can get "sonypi" to load so I can get control?

And would the lack of "sonypi" explain other problems I have having with AC/battery power detection, brightness etc.

I found this (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SonyVaioBrightness), but it was for 6.06!

This Vaio previously had a copy of XP on it which died a horrible and unrecoverable death (boot record) so it was wiped and Jaunty dumped on. Bluetooth may have been turned off from XP (not sure), would that have any effect in Ubuntu?

Thanks!

Another Monkey
July 28th, 2009, 09:53 AM
I tried this
sudo mknod /dev/sonypi c 10 63and now when I try to load sonypi I still get
insmod /lib/modules/2.6.28-13-generic/kernel/drivers/char/sonypi.ko
FATAL: Error inserting sonypi (/lib/modules/2.6.28-13-generic/kernel/drivers/char/sonypi.ko): No such device
but trying to run spicctrl now gives
ioctl: Inappropriate ioctl for device
Is there a proper to remove the /dev/sonypi I created? I just used "rm". Anyway, I tried again with
sudo mknod /dev/sonypi c 10 250and sonypi remianed unchanged, but spicctrl now reports
/dev/sonypi: No such deviceSo 63 would appear to be "more correct", but still wrong.

DOes anyone know how to get this working on a Vaio?