PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Alienware laptop

MajorPWNage
July 27th, 2009, 04:59 PM
Hey I'm going back to school in October and it looks like I'm going to get an Alienware M17X. Has anyone had issues with Ubuntu on that system? In any case I'll wind up running it but any fair warnings are good.

Specs:
Intel® Core™2 Duo P8600 2.4GHz (3MB Cache, 1066MHz FSB)

Single NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 260M, 1GB

4GB Dual Channel DDR3 at 1333MHz

250GB 7,200RPM w/ Free Fall Protection

ZaHACKieL
July 27th, 2009, 07:43 PM
Well, you will not know until you try. I mean...trying will not destroy your laptop so give it a shot and let me know.

Off-Topic question: Do you think Alienware is worth its price?

Vakman
July 27th, 2009, 08:00 PM
Off-Topic question: Do you think Alienware is worth its price?
No, definitely not. It is for gamers who know nothing about hardware and/or prices. Only nice thing is a case. But buying it is up to the person.
Anyway, back on topic, you will just need to get the nVIDIA drivers installed and your wireless card drivers and in theory you will be set.

skullmunky
September 9th, 2010, 10:48 PM
hey, so how did it go? I'm looking at a similar alienware but now with the i5 or i7 ... thumbs up? thumbs down?

capn
September 19th, 2010, 02:26 PM
I've got an M17x that I purchased at the beginning of the year,purchased from Best Buy- a generic model 2 quad duo w/ Nvidia 260M (dual use: integrated and discrete graphics), Broadcom wireless.
Yesterday, completed Ubuntu 10.04 install, dual boot with Windows7.
Issues: had to get Nvidia driver from Nvidia site (took a while to figure that out: used Ubuntu rec driver and other driver listed and neither worked, fortunately booting into "Recovery" mode saved the day!) . Ubuntu's recommended Broadcom driver worked at first install.
Alienware laptops have many "candy" features that work well with Windblows 7, visual recognition login software, different "effects" (keyboard lighting, etc.).So, if you want this to be a Ubuntu machine: I'd look for a different laptop, as all the candy would be wasted.