PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [Ubuntu/Kubuntu (not yet sure] Mac OS X and Linux Dual Booting?

Dullstar
July 27th, 2009, 09:16 AM
Plan on getting a MacBook, so I want to know if a dual boot between OS X and Ubuntu/Kubuntu (not sure which one yet, I have yet to test any of the Live CD's I have around) is possible. Thanks in advance!

NOTE: I have several home burnt live CD's, but I haven't used any yet mainly because I haven't had a chance yet. I installed my first (which is my current, by the way, unless you count the reinstall that had to be done thanks to Windows having to get a reinstall, but data was restored) Ubuntu with Wubi, but I can step away from that now! No more Micro$oft Windows for me (except at school:mad:)!

tripundra
July 27th, 2009, 10:41 PM
Yes is possible and there are many posts telling you how!

Dullstar
July 28th, 2009, 03:02 AM
Thanks. Now all I have to do is save my allowance and birthday money!

stockley
July 28th, 2009, 05:30 AM
I'm dual-booting Ubuntu on my Macbook3,1 and it's coming along nicely :)
But it was a bit weird getting used to the GUI and mouse after a few adjustments :S
I reckon you should just go for it, if you get a large hard drive or even an external one you could triple boot with Windows XP or Vista, I know XP works nicely with OS X and if you really wanted you could make a virtual machine with VMware fusion or Parallels or something.
Good luck! (Btw the macbook supports 64-bit architecture just in case you want to run 64-bit linux distros and Snow Leopard is on its way, which costs AU$15 to upgrade to from Leopard or US$29 for america)

Dullstar
July 28th, 2009, 05:35 AM
I'm sticking with 32 bit if compatible!

Also, I decided which distro I'm using. Booted some LiveCD's on an old computer in the basement (they all worked properly) to get a feel for how they worked. Going to go with a version of Ubuntu.

Well, just one thing left - to get the MacBook! That could take a while (probably a year or two). It'll be my first modern Mac, considering while I do have three Macs, all are Mac OS Classic. One doesn't work anymore, one is slow, and the other is usable.

So, looks I can't upgrade the OS. HOWEVER, that fact should be good for people who already have Macs!

Tofuik
July 28th, 2009, 07:10 AM
With rEFIt everything works perfectly. There is a few nit picky things for me like Ubuntu running hotter than OSX but hopefully I can eventually tweak that problem away. 9.04 Was iffy at first but after an update everything worked (cep bluetooth, but I can live with out it outside of OSX)

Dullstar
July 28th, 2009, 07:12 AM
Guess this means the perfect computer. I'm going to avoid putting Windows on unless I have to, though.

Tofuik
July 28th, 2009, 07:14 AM
Guess this means the perfect computer. I'm going to avoid putting Windows on unless I have to, though.

I had Vista for a month, then XP for a while. But eventually I got tired of them and by that point I had moved to OSX for all of my main applications and slapped on Ubuntu just for tinkering with.

Dullstar
July 28th, 2009, 07:17 AM
I know! I got tired of Windows. I'm only using it right now because of games that don't run well/don't run at all. Most of the worthwhile ones work great on Wine, though, so there's really nothing to worry about.