PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] laptop 2 monitor eyes attention and increase desktop space

cooper77z
July 26th, 2009, 08:57 AM
As discussed in irc, here are the issues as I see them, first, it does a persons eyes good to break from lcd to tube monitor every now and again, second, it is way harder to increase desktop space in hardy than it should be, third it's better to strengthen the eyes than to have luxury of increased desktop space.

I have read through the googles and the forums posts, they are all kind of obscure. If I were wanting to add more desktop space to my laptop with a second monitor, how could I reliable do so? Thanks.

peterbrewer
July 26th, 2009, 09:08 AM
Depends on your graphics card. If you have an Intel graphics card you can use Xrandr which is pretty good at getting things right. Also, the Gnome config utility isn't too bad.

cooper77z
July 26th, 2009, 08:39 PM
hi, thanks for the help! It's working now hurray!

here's how I did it, first I had to install the randr thingy from synaptic, then I had to figure out how to lanch the gui screen controller because it was not found under gui system where it was supposed to be.

My only complaint is a green line through program icons but it's not bad. This was no easy thing to do. Here's the terminal command for launching the screen utility gksudo displayconfig-gtk

Thanks again for the help, I am so happy to have both monitors as deskspace now.:KS

P.S. the green line went away after a reboot :)