PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] SLI woes

Kver
July 26th, 2009, 06:38 AM
*Solved, see next post if you're in a similar situation*

I've installed Kubuntu on a brand-new mac pro. It's a completly stock system on exception of the video-cards: I am using a second nvidia G120 in an SLI configuration. I need it for 3D modelling in OSX, so I cannot take it out. Ideally, I won't want to buy a new video card expressly because Ubuntu doesn't play nice with SLI.

On a vanilla install, I get the usual tiny resolution expected of the vesa drivers; However switching to nvidia drivers it fails to boot into the GUI:

"No screens found"

I've tinkered for several days now, here's the steps I've taken:

I've ran the commands...
nvidia-xconfig --only-one-x-screen --sli=auto
nvidia-xconfig --sli=auto
nvidia-xconfig --only-one-x-screen --sli=auto -a
(and several other combinations)

after failing at every one of those, I did it all again, on exception of manually editing xorg and setting BusID to either "PCI:2:0:0" or "3:0:0"

nvidia-settings fails, and tells me I have no displays.

Aly help would be deeply appreciated.

Kver
July 26th, 2009, 09:01 AM
After much work, I've figured out what you need to do. This is after you install the drivers through the GUI, and are forced into command-line.

1. Get into command line
You should probably ignore this walkthough if you werent forced into it

2. enter "lspci | grep VGA"
This will output your video cards, and their Bus IDs. Guess which card has your monitor plugged into it, and jot down the Bus ID

3. Enter "sudo nvidia-xconfig"
This will have Nvidia set up your graphics card. I reccomend trying to see if this works before continuing.

4. Enter "sudo nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf"
In the "device" section, add the following lines:
BusID "{enter in the BusID from #2}"
Option "SLI" #Because you have more than 1 card
Option "NoLogo" "True" #To avoid having an Nvidia logo popup

5. If you get a black screen when you restart, go into safe mode, enter the root terminal (near the bottom of th list) and repeat 2-4 until you guess the correct BusID

6. If it still doesn't work, it is beyond the scope of my abilities.