PDA

View Full Version : What have I done?

enragedpirhana
July 26th, 2009, 05:13 AM
I used the standard i386 ubuntu 9.04 cd (downloaded) to install ubuntu onto a flash drive using a laptop.
The disc loaded grub onto the laptop hdd and since then, windows won't boot on that laptop.
The hdd is fine, I've used it through a desktop pc, and everything works.
Ive removed grub using a suber grub boot disc, but windows still won't load.
It loads it's own multiboot interface, then it gets to the logo screen (with the blue bars on xp professional) then it gives me a message saying "windows has been shutdown to protect your hardware. please use chkdsk and remove any new hdds."

I'm asking here because ubuntu was the only change I've made to the system.

philcamlin
July 26th, 2009, 05:15 AM
you got a bsod

boot into the xp disk and do chkdsk /r

then reboot

booot into live cd and reinstall grub

enragedpirhana
July 26th, 2009, 07:37 AM
I don't want to reinstall grub, as it's a borrowed laptop.
I've tried chkdsk /r and it says it fixed 1 or more errors, but it still doesn't work.
It will BSOD on the laptop, but not a desktop.
Even the windows disk BSODs on the laptop.
And yes, it's the same message each time.

lisati
July 26th, 2009, 07:42 AM
Random thought: if the HDD belongs to the laptop and it has a recovery partition, there might be options that will make using the recovery partition work better than a Windows CD/DVD, e.g. non-destructive restore.

enragedpirhana
July 26th, 2009, 07:53 AM
Probably, But like I said, it's a borrowed laptop and I don't have any of the disks.
I broke the terms of use by even putting the linux disc in the machine.
And I'm not allowed to know the admin password.
Bureaucracy.

Yanatsu
July 26th, 2009, 08:24 AM
No, as in, most laptops these days, the companies don't want to pay the 10 cents it costs to have a restore disc. It's normally a hard drive partition, you should be able to access it if you look at the boot options.
But if it's older (+5 years), or made by a company that doesn't suck (Toshiba still gives discs, I think), you're screwed.

enragedpirhana
July 26th, 2009, 08:33 AM
It doesn't seem to be accessible. The only option I see that seems remotely related is enabling/disabling d2d backup.

It's currently in a 45 second restart cycle
start>Windows started incorrectly screen>start normally after 30 seconds>blue screen>restart.

I've gotten rid of the windows multiboot screen, But that wasn't what was bothering me.
I've had it boot in safe mode once, but not in "normal mode".
Now, when i try safe mode it hangs on mup.sys.
Oh, and the windows disk doesn't BSOD anymore, which is nice.

Yanatsu
August 4th, 2009, 07:11 AM
Okay, sorry for the delay, but if it's Windows XP, did you enable SATA on the laptop in the BIOS? That will screw XP up since it doesn't have the proper drivers for it.
If it's enabled, I mean. Try to disable it in the BIOS.