PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Having problem with USB Headset in Dell Inspiron 6400

ovroniil
July 26th, 2009, 04:13 AM
I have just installed Ubuntu 9.04 on Dell Inspiron 6400. I connected a USB headset [model HS-4075p] but Dell couldn't detect that completely. That headset has a volume controller to control the volume of laptop. That controller worked well (with that controller I can control my Laptop's speaker volume!) but the ear-phone and microphone didnot work.

How to make that work? Any suggession?

kostkon
July 26th, 2009, 06:03 AM
Let's see if it is recognised: open a terminal and give

aplay -l
if you can see it listed then it is working fine.

The next step would be to install the PulseAudio Device Chooser utility. More info here (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1130384).

If you want to make the controller control the volume levels of your headset, then you need to go to System → Preferences → Sound and select the Devices tab. Then, in the Default Mixer Tracks section you need to select your USB headset from the Device drop-down menu and below it the volume level you want the controller buttons to control; in most cases a master volume level will be available for you to select.

Hope that helps.

ovroniil
September 25th, 2009, 09:10 AM
With that code it shows that Ubuntu recognizes the device. Then I installed the PulseAudio Device Chooser utility from Synaptic. But still no sound!

Here is the output of aplay -l

aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: ICH [Intel ICH], device 0: Intel ICH [Intel ICH]
Subdevices: 0/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: ICH [Intel ICH], device 2: Intel ICH - IEC958 [Intel ICH - IEC958]
Subdevices: 1/1
card 2: default [C-Media USB Headphone Set ], device 0: USB Audio [USB Audio]
Subdevices: 1/1

card 2 is the USB headphone.

[sorry for the very late response, as the headset was not working, I lent it to one of my friends. Now he returned it and now I am still in the same situation!]