PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Left Click Problem

eccapants
July 25th, 2009, 11:41 PM
Ok. I am posting here because I can't find any information on the internet that seems even remotely useful, hopefully someone out here can help! My problem is this:

As I was browsing in firefox this morning my left click key and touch pad clicking stopped working. I restarted with no improvement. Rebooted in windows and found something funky going on. Still no left click either by key or via touchpad but it acted as if I were holding down either the left click or control key* (you know you get that neat little blue square you can make bigger or smaller by moving the mouse). Another reboot in ubuntu with a slight improvement now I can left click freely using either the keypad or an external mouse.

I am still holding out hope that this isn't a hardware issue (as I no longer have insurance, boo!)

Somethings that may be helpful: Right click works just fine. I am pretty much new to ubuntu so i tend not to change settings around (assume everything is set to default) & running jaunty with no other problems.
*in the past I have had random problems where for a few minutes it will act as if crtl is being held down when it's not

Ideas? Tips? Anything? Thank you in advance for you help!

mikewhatever
July 25th, 2009, 11:56 PM
Well, the fact that it happens on two independent OSs does suggest a hardware related problem. Does it only happen in Firefox?

eccapants
July 25th, 2009, 11:59 PM
No, it happens everywhere. I just can't left click at all :(

If it is the hardware would it be wise to try and remove the offending key myself and clean it or something along those lines?

eccapants
July 26th, 2009, 12:08 AM
I am a genius!! I don't need a left mouse key at all. All I really need is a button that will perform that function! Does anyone know of a way to bind a key to act as a left click?

dlmarti
July 26th, 2009, 12:15 AM
Swap the left and right keys (ie. make it a left handed setup), its in the mouse setup.

Personally I would just clean the key.

rcytopdog
August 12th, 2009, 09:12 PM
This is very interesting, I have a had a similar problem with my left mouse button not working, also in windows and ubuntu but it only seems to start playing up after I've used firefox. It also happens when I use a different mouse.

Any ideas?

I've found it's possible to get around this by right clicking on the top bar first but it's obviously a nuisance.

shareddervr
April 16th, 2011, 05:58 PM
Just disable touchpad or unplug mouse and the problem is fixed