PDA

View Full Version : A multitude of problems.......

aperture123
July 25th, 2009, 07:15 PM
:confused:I have three main problems and I can't seem to find the answer to.
I had quake 4, but since I have no cd-rom drive I made the iso. I then mounted it into /home/user/folder/ and proceeded to install. Installation went perfectly in wine. However, when I try to launch the program, I found it asks for the disk drive. I use Gmountiso, and so I opened the terminal, made a new directory in /media folder, and named it isoimage. I then mounted there, to see if that worked. It didn't. I went into wine config and selected drives, added /home/user/folder/ where I now remounted to. I selected show advanced and made it a CD-ROM type. So far, it still doesn't work, should I change it into /media/isoimage?
My second question is how to overclock the acer aspire one using Ubuntu. I have tried a1ctl, ClockGen, and SetFSB. Maybe I'm using them wrong, because I have no idea how to boost my GHz. On a positive note, GMABooster works well, and I do have my computer cooled enough so there is no overheating. Is there another program I can use, Linux compatable?
And finally, I have a avi vid, with a english subititles folder. I used movie player and selected the movie, then I selected the subtitles, but It didn't work. I have a srt and sub filetypes, both work on windows. I then tried to use Kiso, and Kaffine, but they are for KDE and I don't think that works either. Both the sub files and the movie file are named the same, though the subtitles are in a folder.
If any of these question can be answered, that would be appreciated, and if all could be answered that would be awesome.:D

aperture123
July 30th, 2009, 10:38 PM
I'll post in Beginner forums it seems.....

lisati
July 30th, 2009, 10:40 PM
I'll post in Beginner forums it seems.....

Don't panic! I want to reassure you that even though no help seems to have been forthcoming so far, you questions have been seen.

(Sorry, I have no flashes of inspiration to help get the troubleshooting started at the moment, anyone else?)

aperture123
July 30th, 2009, 10:41 PM
Hi, I had posted this in the general help thread, but I found this forum and will post for hopefully I reply...
I have three main problems and I can't seem to find the answer to.
I had quake 4, but since I have no cd-rom drive I made the iso. I then mounted it into /home/user/folder/ and proceeded to install. Installation went perfectly in wine. However, when I try to launch the program, I found it asks for the disk drive. I use Gmountiso, and so I opened the terminal, made a new directory in /media folder, and named it isoimage. I then mounted there, to see if that worked. It didn't. I went into wine config and selected drives, added /home/user/folder/ where I now remounted to. I selected show advanced and made it a CD-ROM type. So far, it still doesn't work, should I change it into /media/isoimage?
My second question is how to overclock the acer aspire one using Ubuntu. I have tried a1ctl, ClockGen, and SetFSB. Maybe I'm using them wrong, because I have no idea how to boost my GHz. On a positive note, GMABooster works well, and I do have my computer cooled enough so there is no overheating. Is there another program I can use, Linux compatable?
And finally, I have a avi vid, with a english subititles folder. I used movie player and selected the movie, then I selected the subtitles, but It didn't work. I have a srt and sub filetypes, both work on windows. I then tried to use Kiso, and Kaffine, but they are for KDE and I don't think that works either. Both the sub files and the movie file are named the same, though the subtitles are in a folder.
If any of these question can be answered, that would be appreciated, and if all could be answered that would be awesome.
I will await replies in anticipation!:popcorn:

lisati
July 30th, 2009, 10:45 PM
Your other thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=7707067) has been seen. Good luck!

daimaru
July 30th, 2009, 10:51 PM
wow mate too many questions that are not really realated. but ill give it a try.
first the video thing that seems to be the easiest .

did you try using vlc (video lan) player or mplayer to play the file with subtitles. if the subs dont get loaded automatically go to menu and manually load subs.

overclocking. dont know of any software tool to do it, but normally you overclock your computer in the bios. This has nothing to do with linux, so you can still do it. software that does this is only there to facilitate it for users to overclock their cpu with a few mouse clicks. so if you just set everything in bios you should be ok.

get the linux edition of quake... they are one of the few companies that release games for linux too, so make use of it. I'm not too sure that it will work great using wine. eventhough i did get counterstrike source through steam to work using wine-- and that worked perfectly.
it just seems way less hassel to use the linux installer for the game. of course if you dont have the linux version that s no good for you. but i cant help with wine specific problems. you will have to search winehq site for info on getting quake 4 to run.

neu2buntu
July 30th, 2009, 10:51 PM
for the game you are trying to run as a cdrom image ,you will need to create "symlinks" from the terminal. i will post a link here describing the method to use...http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-846551.html (http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-846551.html)

look at user
viktor4124

starcannon
July 30th, 2009, 11:44 PM
Good info in both of your duplicate threads. Generally keep in mind; double posting bad, patience good. It is also okay to *bump* your thread every 24hours just in case you get missed. Hang in there, and GL.

aperture123
July 31st, 2009, 09:14 PM
Thanks,
so far:
bios doesn't allow overclocking in acer aspire 1.
I tried installing linux quake 4 and moving the pak files and I do not know where the launch file is....I checked and thinked I found it, but it wouldn't launch.
and Mplayer even when manually loading subfiles doesn't work

Liolikas
July 31st, 2009, 09:19 PM
mplayer likes to write many interesting things to terminal paste them here.

LowSky
July 31st, 2009, 10:20 PM
quake 4 on an a netbook, good luck. the thing doesn't have a good video chip. i can barely run flash video on hulu or even High def movie files at 720p

second overclocking a netbook is not going to happen, Intel made the things to perform optimally, and the things are lockedfrom the BIOS, your out of luck. not worth the hassle, get more RAM and be done with it, Atom based netbooks max out at 2GB of RAM

aperture123
August 3rd, 2009, 12:02 AM
wow, my luck is horrible. Unfortuantally, through a whole different forum i also tried reinstalling xp. I accidentally selected the wrong partition, so linux is no longer there. To make matters EVEN worse, windows isn't working. >.> thanks for all of your help.... I unfortunatlly do not know how to close a thread....