PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] lightweight ipod software

robfindlay
July 24th, 2009, 04:36 PM
Is there a really lightweight proggy that will let me just manage playlists and moving music onto the ipod w/out needing to a music player?

Like a file manager for the IPOD.

-Rob

Whiffle
July 24th, 2009, 04:40 PM
gtkpod is dedicated to this, although I've found it a little clunky. Rhythmbox works well though.

robfindlay
July 24th, 2009, 04:41 PM
gtkpod is dedicated to this, although I've found it a little clunky. Rhythmbox works well though.

all of a sudden Rhythmbox wont let me drag files from a directory into a mounted iPod playlist :-(

Whiffle
July 24th, 2009, 04:50 PM
I think they have to be in Rhythmbox's library first, not just a directory.

philcamlin
July 24th, 2009, 04:51 PM
i use banshee and amarok but amarok is 120 mb banshee is my favorite :popcorn:

songbird works too

robfindlay
July 24th, 2009, 05:03 PM
What I wish someone would write is an inerface that just makes a mounted iPod look to like a drive with folders and files, adn you could just copy them over. Like most non iPod players.

kpkeerthi
July 24th, 2009, 05:13 PM
gtkpod

philcamlin
July 24th, 2009, 05:15 PM
What I wish someone would write is an inerface that just makes a mounted iPod look to like a drive with folders and files, adn you could just copy them over. Like most non iPod players.

apple wouldent like that too much

LowSky
July 24th, 2009, 05:18 PM

you can, use rockbox if its a 5th Gen or older ipod and not one of the newer nanos or itouch as they are completely different software
http://www.rockbox.org/twiki/bin/view/Main/WhyRockbox

Grenage
July 24th, 2009, 05:20 PM
Rockbox is great, I used it when I had an ipod.

kpkeerthi
July 24th, 2009, 05:23 PM
When I used rockbox I synced my music library with my iPod using rsync, as simple as

rsync -a --modify-window=10 ~/music /media/iPod

robfindlay
July 24th, 2009, 09:51 PM
Rockbox wont recognize my ipod...even though teh machine does, and it shows up under media as /media/SLAG'S IPOD

robfindlay
July 24th, 2009, 09:53 PM
Rockbox wont recognize my ipod...even though teh machine does, and it shows up under media as /media/SLAG'S IPOD

helps if you run it as root...silly me.

robfindlay
July 24th, 2009, 10:42 PM
Okay so forgive my ignorance, but what software frontend do i use to build playlists and import new mp3's into say a new playlist?

robfindlay
July 24th, 2009, 11:03 PM
When I used rockbox I synced my music library with my iPod using rsync, as simple as

rsync -a --modify-window=10 ~/music /media/iPod

I tried that command--changed for my setup--and i just get a "failed operation not permitted"

kpkeerthi
July 25th, 2009, 08:32 AM
I tried that command--changed for my setup--and i just get a "failed operation not permitted"

The command does a 'file copy' from a source folder to a target folder. If the files were not copied, it could be a permission issue on the destination folder.

As I posted earlier that command can be used only if you are using rockbox.

robfindlay
July 25th, 2009, 08:45 AM
The command does a 'file copy' from a source folder to a target folder. If the files were not copied, it could be a permission issue on the destination folder.

As I posted earlier that command can be used only if you are using rockbox.

I have rockbox up and running dandy, my only problem is learning hte new interface, for instance when i load up new mp3's i like to put them into a dedicated playlist, i can sort of do the same thing by putting them into a dedcated folder, but how do you make play specific folder at random OR your entire collection at random?