PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] VLC opens and closes instantly

Souljah
July 24th, 2009, 11:09 AM
Hello,

I'm having a problem with VLC now. When I try to open, it pops up and then immediately closes if I do it in the run command box. If I just click on the menu item or the shortcut I created, it doesn't even show that it opens. When trying to open it in the terminal this is the error I get:

ryan@AMDBE2350:~$ vlc
VLC media player 1.0.0 Goldeneye
WARNING: QApplication was not created in the main() thread.
Segmentation fault

How do I fix this? Thanks.

Ryan

kdetech
July 24th, 2009, 11:23 AM
sudo aptitude purge vlc

then
sudo aptitude install vlc

then if it still fails
sudo dpkg -recongigure vlc

jasonsjunk
July 24th, 2009, 11:26 AM
Have you tried a reboot since this happened? I am thinking that there is another instance of VLC running that crashed and might be causing this issue.

You can also try to reset the VLC config using one of these two methods.

1) go to home folder -> .config and delete the vlc folder. (.config is a 'hidden' folder so you need to show hidden folders)

or

2)from a terminal type in vlc --reset-config

Souljah
July 24th, 2009, 11:40 AM
Have you tried a reboot since this happened? I am thinking that there is another instance of VLC running that crashed and might be causing this issue.

You can also try to reset the VLC config using one of these two methods.

1) go to home folder -> .config and delete the vlc folder. (.config is a 'hidden' folder so you need to show hidden folders)

or

2)from a terminal type in vlc --reset-config
I know what the problem was. I reset the settings like you said Jason through the terminal and what was happening was then when the QT interface was checken in the main interfaces preferences in the dialog, then it would crashed upong execution. However, when it is not checked, it doesn't crash. I wonder why. Anyway, it's working now. Thanks a lot.

jasonsjunk
July 24th, 2009, 11:51 AM
Glad you got it working enjoy your movie :)

Souljah
July 24th, 2009, 11:53 AM
Glad you got it working enjoy your movie :)
How do you know it's a movie I wanna watch ;)