PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Hoping and praying for Ubuntu One server software open sourcing. . .

pi.boy.travis
July 23rd, 2009, 05:53 PM
I have been using Ubuntu One for about two weeks, and it's extremely handy, if still a bit buggy. My only gripe is that the server side software isn't open source. It's not so much because of trademarks or morals or anything like that, I just think it would be really useful to deploy Ubuntu One on my own server. This way, I could have complete control and as much space as I want. It would probably be difficult to deploy, but I would be willing to put the time and effort into my own service.

So I'm hoping that, like launchpad, the server software will be open source in time. . .

enz1m3
July 24th, 2009, 09:52 AM
That would be awesome, but I think they wouldn't do that so early. Only after a couple of years production-ready (to release something stable and to make some money and clients before ;) )

pi.boy.travis
July 27th, 2009, 05:52 AM
I'm really hoping that it will something like Launchpad, beta for a few years while the code is developed internally, then an open-sourcing when it is ready. I can only wait. . .

TuckLive
July 27th, 2009, 09:38 AM
It took Canonical a few years before they released Launchpad, so have patience. :) I'm sure it will take some time after initial release to add some extra goodies.

andrea000
July 28th, 2009, 06:42 AM
ubuntu one is working great on both my computers
it's really coming along nice and i would say it
will more like 1 year then they will make a server
beta install of it i may be wrong

juancarlospaco
July 29th, 2009, 04:31 PM
GNU Affero GPL seems too GNU for me...

danrl
October 23rd, 2009, 06:24 AM
I really like Ubuntu One, it is one of the best things that came from Cannocial the last years. But I also refuse to store my private and my clients data on a server outside my control.

To make a real difference, this piece of awesome software must be open source. I would even pay license fees for it, but I have to have full control of my data.

vinutux
October 23rd, 2009, 06:39 AM
hope so..............

ikt
October 23rd, 2009, 06:40 AM
I really like Ubuntu One, it is one of the best things that came from Cannocial the last years. But I also refuse to store my private and my clients data on a server outside my control.

Then cloud computing is not for you, just throw it in with all the other backup solutions that are not workable and we'll all be happy :)

danrl
October 23rd, 2009, 08:06 AM
Then cloud computing is not for you, just throw it in with all the other backup solutions that are not workable and we'll all be happy :)

There might be a difference between Cloud Computing and a working synchronizing solution. If I need a Cloud to synchronize my data, then I have to build one on my own :)

omegamormegil
October 29th, 2009, 09:58 PM
Last I heard, Mark has no intention of Open Sourcing the server side, because he doesn't believe it would be a good business decision.

I, personally, would love for the backend to be open sourced. It's nice to run your own cloud, but what happens when your house burns down, or you get robbed? An offsite backup is best, especially because you can depend on a business which has more resources than an ordinary home user to ensure the data is safe.

I refuse to pay for UbuntuOne partly because it is closed source, but mostly because of the name. You might find this silly, but that which is "Ubuntu" has been redefined to be open source, and open to the community only when the rights holders say so. Names are Important (http://www.chuckfrain.net/2009/05/18/ubuntu-one-thoughts). If they open sourced the backend OR changed the name, I would subscribe Today. Until then, I have open source options (with better privacy guarantees) from other places, such as spideroak.com.

I'd love to support Canonical financially, because I got Ubuntu for free and I really appreciate the efforts Canonical has gone to to give me such an outstanding product. I'm just waiting for them to offer me something I value which I also don't find offensive, before I will sign up.

spikyjt
November 2nd, 2009, 04:27 PM
This is very sad. I thought Landscape was bad enough, but this is even worse. I don't have a problem with people making money out of their hard work, but Canonical are giving the message that open source doesn't work as a business model. Some don't believe it does, whereas many clearly demonstrate it working. It is particularly sad that Canonical have not got the guts to go the whole hog with open source. Why would any one else bother if they won't? Their claims that Ubuntu is always free (as in freedom) will start to wear thin, when they provide services that aren't. They are basically saying that open source is good enough for everyone else, but not for them.

johnzollo
June 16th, 2010, 07:56 PM
I have lots to say on this issue, but I'll leave it at this: I'd prefer to keep my contacts, bookmarks, and (especially) my files on systems that I manage myself. There are too many security issues (i.e. The Sidekick hack a year or so ago and now the iPad vulnerability ) to leave my information's security in the hands of others. You never know who is asleep at the switch!

Sincerely,
John D. Zollo

P.S. I believe Mozilla will be coming out with the server side of their Firefox Sync software. (You might want to double-check) :guitar:

johnzollo
June 16th, 2010, 08:12 PM
Yup, apparently you can set up your own Sync (used to be called Weave) server for Firefox. Here are some links:

https://wiki.mozilla.org/Labs/Weave/User/1.0/Setup

https://wiki.mozilla.org/Labs/Weave/Sync/1.0/Setup

If you're paranoid, like me sometimes, you may want to run you own servers!

-John