PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] AMD CPU(amd64) & Intel CPU(i386) That's not right is it??

VipX1
July 23rd, 2009, 01:03 PM
It can't be right that if I have an Intel CPU I need an i386 installation and if I have a AMD CPU I need amd64. I know amd64 is for a 64bit OS and i386 is for a 32bit OS but why are the named after the Chips if they're for both types of Chip??
My question, just to be clear:
Ubuntu-8.04.3-desktop-i386.iso For AMD and Intel CPU 32bit OS
Ubuntu-8.04.3-desktop-amd64.iso For AMD and Intel CPU 64bit OS
Is the underlined statement correct in both cases??

The question comes about because my friend Kevin474 is having trouble with his desktop. It works for a few days then starts rebooting, coming up to the login screen then rebooting again brfore you can even type anything. Sometimes it doesn't even make it to the log in screen. It always works for about a week before it gives trouble. He has an AMD chip, an old one. I gave him 8.10 Intrepid Ibex originally. Today I gave him 8.04 LTS Hardy Heron But I want to sure it's right forhis chip.
What is the story with 8.04 being maintained till 2011/4 what will happen then, no more I updates I am quessing....
Any and all info appreciated.

realzippy
July 23rd, 2009, 01:09 PM
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/32bit_and_64bit

lisati
July 23rd, 2009, 01:13 PM
You don't need to use a 64-bit installation on a 64-bit cpu: most will be "happy" to run a 32-bit installation. On the other hand, trying to run a 64-bit installation on a 32-bit machine is likely to lead to disappointment.

VipX1
July 23rd, 2009, 01:38 PM
The question comes about because my friend Kevin474 is having trouble with his desktop. It works for a few days then starts rebooting, coming up to the login screen then rebooting again brfore you can even type anything. Sometimes it doesn't even make it to the log in screen. It always works for about a week before it gives trouble.
I am right to say that the problems I am seeing on my friends PC are nothing to do with the fact that he's got an old AMD CPU?

realzippy
July 23rd, 2009, 01:54 PM
Old AMD CPU could be more specified ;-) ...
The problem you discribe also could be a hardware damage..
If it works one week before making trouble it might be a thermal problem..
..CPU cooler clean?Fits correctly?
...old AMD CPU = overclocked Athlon XP ?