PDA

View Full Version : A series of questions/requests from a semi-noob

PureRicanGringo
July 22nd, 2009, 06:11 PM
First of all, I love, love, love, both the idea of Linux and the reality of Ubuntu Linux. I have played around with two or three releases of Ubuntu over the last year or two and I am fairly comfortable with the environment. Anyway, as I recently came back to Ubuntu in the form of the Netbook Remix a series of questions occurred to me. My goal is to start a discussion from the perspective of a non-expert Ubuntu user. If everything I bring up is already well discussed in another area or in past posts I will shut up and go away. ;-)

Without further ado:

1. Why is it so freaking hard to download and install programs? I mean, if something doesn't show up in synaptic (like freaking Opera for crying out loud!) it should be possible to download any Linux program to the desktop and have a program exist that can tell that it is a program, translate the file into something that works on this particular flavor of Linux and freaking install it!!! It shouldn't require an hour perusing these forums to install something.

2. Why isn't there an icon on the default start page of a fresh install that you can click on that will enable all of the repositories that people want? Having to spend two hours researching how to enable mediabuntu or whatever it is called is silly. Sacrificing easy of use to keep the Richard Stallman types sort of happy is, again, silly.

3. Why are so many of the icons on the UNR so blurry? I am no programmer but that doesn't seem like something that should defeat the best efforts of the people involved in this.

That's all I got. Let the flaming begin!!

philcamlin
July 22nd, 2009, 06:14 PM
First of all, I love, love, love, both the idea of Linux and the reality of Ubuntu Linux. I have played around with two or three releases of Ubuntu over the last year or two and I am fairly comfortable with the environment. Anyway, as I recently came back to Ubuntu in the form of the Netbook Remix a series of questions occurred to me. My goal is to start a discussion from the perspective of a non-expert Ubuntu user. If everything I bring up is already well discussed in another area or in past posts I will shut up and go away. ;-)

Without further ado:

1. Why is it so freaking hard to download and install programs? I mean, if something doesn't show up in synaptic (like freaking Opera for crying out loud!) it should be possible to download any Linux program to the desktop and have a program exist that can tell that it is a program, translate the file into something that works on this particular flavor of Linux and freaking install it!!! It shouldn't require an hour perusing these forums to install something.

2. Why isn't there an icon on the default start page of a fresh install that you can click on that will enable all of the repositories that people want? Having to spend two hours researching how to enable mediabuntu or whatever it is called is silly. Sacrificing easy of use to keep the Richard Stallman types sort of happy is, again, silly.

3. Why are so many of the icons on the UNR so blurry? I am no programmer but that doesn't seem like something that should defeat the best efforts of the people involved in this.

That's all I got. Let the flaming begin!!

download deb files and gdebi installer comes up

tar files you use terminal

to go getdeb.com its got all of the debs you want

can i see a screenshot

Tyke91
July 22nd, 2009, 06:15 PM
1. Opera IS in the repos, if you don't want to enable the entire repo, just download the .deb file for opera, it does what you are asking it to do :)

2. dunno about netbook remix, but gnome ubuntu has something in System>Administration called Software Sources, where you can enable Universe and Multiverse repositories with a button. Medibuntu is separate. It seriously cannot be included for LEGAL resons.

3. No clue about netbook remix... you're on your own for that one :)

PureRicanGringo
July 22nd, 2009, 06:31 PM
1. Opera IS in the repos, if you don't want to enable the entire repo, just download the .deb file for opera, it does what you are asking it to do :)

2. dunno about netbook remix, but gnome ubuntu has something in System>Administration called Software Sources, where you can enable Universe and Multiverse repositories with a button. Medibuntu is separate. It seriously cannot be included for LEGAL resons.

3. No clue about netbook remix... you're on your own for that one :)

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. I understand that Medibuntu cannot initially be included, what I am saying is that there should be a button you click on that enables all that crap that cannot be included initially. Things like Flash and whatever else most idiots like me think we need.

Also, I go to synaptic and type in Opera and get nothing. I have the Universe and the Multivers enabled. Am I doing something silly?

Tyke91
July 22nd, 2009, 06:36 PM
hmm... I think i lied.

Opera USED to be in the repos.

get it here instead :) http://www.opera.com/download/index.dml?platform=linux

PureRicanGringo
July 22nd, 2009, 06:48 PM
download deb files and gdebi installer comes up

tar files you use terminal

to go getdeb.com its got all of the debs you want

can i see a screenshot

I know that makes perfect sense to you and most other experienced Linux users, but for people like me it is not that simple. For example, when I wanted to install Google Earth I had to download the file, open it up and search around for something that seemed to mean "install" or "setup" to get it to install. As for "using terminal" for tar files, that is exactly what I am talking about, what does that actually even mean? I mean, I know what terminal is, but how do I just use it to convert a tar file? While we are at it, finding the .deb file isn't exactly easy. I usually end up clicking around for an hour trying to find the magic button that will get things started. Nothing ever seems to be simply labeled "here is the .deb, noob" If the process for converting them is so well understood, why doesn't a program exist that looks through downloaded files to decide if they are programs, and what needs to be done to install them? Would that really be that hard for the brilliant people that work on this stuff?

I know that my individual questions can all be answered. I mean someone could tell me what to copy and paste to get google earth to install, what I am asking is why does it require so much support to do something simple?

Also, I would love to attach a screen shot, but something isn't working. When I open up my desktop I can see the .png file with the screen shot, but when I try to go therough the process below to attach the screen shot the file isn't there.

enri2
July 23rd, 2009, 12:13 AM
get linux mint ... it's like ubuntu but has all the extras pre installed

PureRicanGringo
July 23rd, 2009, 12:53 AM
get linux mint ... it's like ubuntu but has all the extras pre installed

Of course you are right. I guess I am just wondering why the truly brilliant people behind Ubuntu Linux don't seem interested in seeing the user experience through the eyes of idiots like me. Scratch that, they are better than just about everybody else at thinking about the casual user, but even they seem unable to break completely away from the status quo.