PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How do I know what version of Ubuntu I am using?

Jerubaal
July 22nd, 2009, 02:51 PM
I installed Feisty from cd and have always done my updates. Does that mean I now have 9.04 installed? I never really pay attention to what the updates are, but occasionally get a message asking whether I want to keep my existing menu.lst settings, which I do. Would this be when the version changes?

CLomax
July 22nd, 2009, 02:54 PM
System -> About Ubuntu

~sHyLoCk~
July 22nd, 2009, 02:54 PM
I installed Feisty from cd and have always done my updates. Does that mean I now have 9.04 installed? I never really pay attention to what the updates are, but occasionally get a message asking whether I want to keep my existing menu.lst settings, which I do. Would this be when the version changes?

What's the output of

lsb_release -a

mhurst102282
July 22nd, 2009, 03:00 PM
If you are just doing updates and didn't do any upgrades you are still using 7.04.

~sHyLoCk~
July 22nd, 2009, 03:07 PM
If you are just doing updates and didn't do any upgrades you are still using 7.04.

True besides you need to upgrade to the immediate next release and not directly to any other future release! E.g.-> You need to upgrade to 7.10 first from 7.04 before you can upgrade to 8.04

Jerubaal
July 22nd, 2009, 03:10 PM
I'm at work (windoze) so will have to check when I get home. I recall changing the desktop image from hardy back to the elephant hide, so I must have got that far.

Thanks for the all the swift replies!

credobyte
July 22nd, 2009, 03:12 PM
To check Ubuntu version, open terminal and type in:

uname -a

uname has a few more arguments, so .. check manpages - might be useful :)

moredhel
July 22nd, 2009, 03:20 PM

uname -a

The best part of using uname is that it's distro-agnostic where as lsb_release might not exist in other distros.

~sHyLoCk~
July 22nd, 2009, 03:22 PM

uname -a

That's not gonna give the Codename or version afaik! Atleast it doesn't for me.

shy@z$ uname -a
Linux shy 2.6.28-13-generic #45-Ubuntu SMP Tue Jun 30 09:49:51 UTC 2009 x86_64 GNU/Linux

moredhel
July 22nd, 2009, 03:33 PM
That's not gonna give the Codename or version afaik! Atleast it doesn't for me.

shy@z$ uname -a
Linux shy 2.6.28-13-generic #45-Ubuntu SMP Tue Jun 30 09:49:51 UTC 2009 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Huh. Well you could work it out from the kernel release :D

~sHyLoCk~
July 22nd, 2009, 03:36 PM

Or
cat /etc/issue :P

EDIT: I love ur dp! Fellow fallout fan! :D

Jerubaal
July 23rd, 2009, 09:20 AM
Well, that was a scary moment or five!

I had Hardy Heron installed (thanks CLomax) and then selected the option to show upgrades, so I could then upgrade to 8.10. However, because I had customised my own menu.lst, I wanted to keep the current one. Message after message came up asking me if I wanted to keep it, which was a bit confusing. I guess it was updating each and every kernel along the way.

When it came to restarting, it showed me the login screen (I never normally see that) and then it would login, show my usual wallpaper and then go back to the login screen. Very frustrating. I remembered seeing a message saying my vlinuz (or something like that) was damaged and I may need to fix my GRUB, which I tried. Eventually I tried editing the boot command line to change the kernel number from 2.6.22-14 to 2.6.27-14 (leaving the rest of the line intact). Fortunately this worked first time, so I could go into the terminal end edit my menu.lst.

The only dodgy looking thing was that my screen res was different, which I then mucked up even more because I couldn't remember what it should be. Eventually managed to get that more-or-less sorted out.

I guess I need to start all my apps to make sure they work ok, then this time, clone the partition before upgrading the final step to 9.04... I shall now go and read the forum for further upgrade advice! If I wasn't sleep deprived, maybe I would have had an easier time of it. Babies and upgrading don't mix!!!

lisati
July 23rd, 2009, 09:26 AM

This thread is in "Absolute beginner talk", so I'll go with clomax's suggestion:
System -> About Ubuntu