PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] I thought there was no secrets in ubuntu but. . .

289531.EXE
July 22nd, 2009, 11:44 AM
I keep getting this message:

THE FOLDER CONTENTS CANNOT BE DISPLAYED
You do not have the permissions necessary to view the contents of "lost+found".

why do I get that? is there a way to get the "permission"? I'm just curious now to see what my OS has found that was lost and is hiding from me.

bacil
July 22nd, 2009, 11:46 AM
lost+found is special filesystem folder you can gain privileges by using sudo

sudo ls -la /lost+found

AndyCee
July 22nd, 2009, 11:48 AM
"lost+found" is owned by Root. I forget what it's for, but if you want to look inside using nautilus, type alt+f2 and type:

gksudo nautilus

and navigate to the directory.

EDIT: Just looked it up and now I remember. If your computer shuts down badly, Ubuntu (and other *nix's) run a file-system check (fsck). Any bad or corrupted files will go in this folder, in case they can be recovered.

289531.EXE
July 22nd, 2009, 11:48 AM
in doing this action, will i in any way damage my OS? Is this code temporary or does it permanently grant me access? Should I be looking in there?

289531.EXE
July 22nd, 2009, 11:53 AM
Thanks but that seemed to be pointless. apparently theres nothing inside. strange, why would an empty folder be under lock and key?

The Cog
July 22nd, 2009, 11:55 AM
sudo (or gksu/gksudo for GUI apps) run the given command with root's id and privileges. It is temporary, and harmless unless you make a mistake - the command has the full rights to trash the system.

Read https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RootSudo

XCan
July 22nd, 2009, 12:00 PM
Thanks but that seemed to be pointless. apparently theres nothing inside. strange, why would an empty folder be under lock and key?

If it wasn't, every user would have the chance to see other users' files in case of caught corrupt files. It being empty for you at this time, is only good. :)