PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] make pdf

Drenriza
July 22nd, 2009, 10:13 AM
what program in ubuntu can i use to make a pdf. file?

Thanks on advance
:KS

Viva
July 22nd, 2009, 10:14 AM
Openoffice can export to PDF as well as edit existing ones.

sau99ms
July 22nd, 2009, 10:17 AM
what program in ubuntu can i use to make a pdf. file?

Thanks on advance
:KS

Depends on what you're trying to pdf. If you're trying to PDF a website confirmation for example, firefox can do that natively. Go File - > Print select print to file change output format to pdf and enter a file name. You can also change where the PDF you create is saved. Then click print. Hey presto.

As for an equivalent to PDF writer in OSX or adobe acrobat in windows I'm not to sure as I'm a newbie here (just formatted my mac a week ago and now single boot Ubuntu Jaunty on my macbook!)

All the best,

Mark

nnamdi
July 22nd, 2009, 10:17 AM
openoffice does it like magic n it is fast

shuttleworthwannabe
July 22nd, 2009, 10:19 AM
You could also print directly using the print dialogue--since Ubuntu 7.10 (I think) this facility is now available. Previously we had to install cusp-pdf in order to get to make pdf from anydocument--now it built-in into the vanilla Ubuntu install. Hope this helps,
S

ad_267
July 22nd, 2009, 10:28 AM
As others have said, it really depends on what you're trying to turn into a PDF.

If you want to make something like a newsletter or brochure from scratch as a PDF then try Scribus. It's the open source equivalent to something like InDesign.

Dullstar
July 22nd, 2009, 10:51 AM
That's good. I could never find a free way to make a pdf. Guess I have some good knowledge now if I ever have to make one. Really, what's so important about this pdf format that writers have to be so much money?

cosborn72
July 22nd, 2009, 11:41 AM
That's good. I could never find a free way to make a pdf. Guess I have some good knowledge now if I ever have to make one. Really, what's so important about this pdf format that writers have to be so much money?

Adobe had a moment of marketing genius with PDF. They made the reader free to encourage widespread use, then charged out the butt for the ability to make one.

XCan
July 22nd, 2009, 12:08 PM

Since the only format that can rival PDF is PS, PDF has become the de-facto standard. People publishing (or sending the publisher) .doc, .odf or other document formats are just asking for trouble.

Adobe had a moment of marketing genius with PDF. They made the reader free to encourage widespread use, then charged out the butt for the ability to make one.

At least the format is open now. :)