PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] can i install ubuntu 9.04 from a microsd card

ninjagabe15
July 22nd, 2009, 04:52 AM
i have no idea how to install in the first place. My gateway solo 5300 had windows 2000 and it crashed. so i thought i would try something new. I got the iso and put it own my sd card, now im stuck someone help please](*,)

running_rabbit07
July 22nd, 2009, 05:27 AM
Do you have the capablity of burning a CD?

I am not sure it is possible to write the ISO to the memory card and make it bootable.

Does it give you the install menu screen?

JohnnySage50307
July 22nd, 2009, 05:35 AM
An ISO is simply just an image of what the CD contains. It's simply a stream of bytes with a couple other *additions* to help describe how it ought to be burned. Sadly, you will need to make an install disk. I ran into this problem once a long time ago when I was trying to make a dual-boot system and didn't know what an ISO really was.

running_rabbit07
July 22nd, 2009, 05:56 AM
Crazy part is I think it would be possible to create a SD card that could be bootable being when I forget to take my card out of the machine before restarting it will hang there until I pull the card out.

ninjagabe15
July 22nd, 2009, 07:24 AM
I can write discs but im scarce of money right now and im trying to cut costs. if there is a program i could use to make my sd card bootable please tell me

running_rabbit07
July 22nd, 2009, 03:20 PM
You can make a flash drive bootable using Unetbootin (http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/).