PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Bit Torrent

kakashi_12
July 22nd, 2009, 03:52 AM
I don't think I have it. How can I download it? And if I do have it, I haven't figured out how the heck to use it.

Transmission BitTorrent Client, is the name of the app that I do have. I'm not sure if it's used for downloading though or not or if it's something else. Maybe it's for uploading. Every time I ever try to search with it, I get no response. Maybe I'm doing it wrong.

jeppewinther
July 22nd, 2009, 03:57 AM
Bittorrent works like this: You download a Torrent file containing information as to how big the file you want is, how many parts and what sizes they are and so on, and also where you can find the central tracker that is used to communicate between peers. You then open that torrent file using your torrent client, in this case Transmission, the one that comes with Ubuntu.

So, what you need is to find a Torrent file for what you want to download. Get started by googling :)

Clorow
July 22nd, 2009, 03:58 AM
BitTorrent is a method of downloading files and redistributing them. If you find a .torrent file on the internet, open it and Transmission will take care of it. It will start downloading the file you want, and once it's done, it will start giving it out to other people downloading the same file.

For example: If you go to LinuxTracker.org, there will be many torrents available for Linux distributions. Click on one, and Transmission will open up and start downloading the file that the .torrent file told it to download. Go there and try it if you want, you can always stop the download.