PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] CD Boot Options Question

Stavro
July 22nd, 2009, 03:38 AM
Hi, I have the Xubuntu 9.04 LiveCD and would like to dual boot with my existing OS. I realise that with only 192 MB of RAM I don't have enough to use the installer within the live session, however, I can see the live working ok. Essentially, what does it mean on the download page when it says one needs only 128 MB to install? Should I be choosing the "Install" option at bootup instead of the "Try Xubuntu without any change to your computer"?

If this is the case, can someone please reassure me that the disk partitioner is still available and that the latter option will still allow me to dual boot? I don't really want to go and download the minimal install CD. My bandwidth is limited.

Any enlightenment on these questions is most appreciated.

merlinus
July 22nd, 2009, 04:01 AM
If you choose install it will ask a few questions about language, keyboard, and location, and then the partitioning screen will appear. No changes will be made until after you say so.

But it is always wise to back up important data! And if you are running windows, defrag several times beforehand.

running_rabbit07
July 22nd, 2009, 04:38 AM
My HP laptop that I installed Xubuntu has a 192 and a 128 RAM. I understand you only have 192, but once it is installed go into Synaptic Package manager and uninstall all the games, evolution(if you don't use), ekiga, and any other major programs you don't want to be able to run. When I first installed on my laptop, it was using about 200MB RAM @idle, now it is down to about 130MB. To save bandwidth, get rid of evolution before doing the first update.

Hope it works for you.

Stavro
July 22nd, 2009, 10:29 PM
Thanks for the replies. Yes, I wisely backed-up everything of importance before-hand. The installation went well, 192 MB seemed enough for the installer only without the extra panels and desktop. I’m happy with it, and am quite fortunate that everything seems to be more or less working straight-off.

I will advise others though, it’s a bit sluggish. Shame Xubuntu is not a bit more “lightweight”, that’s a bit deceiving I think. My processor is a 700 Mhz Celeron. It's fine so long as I don't try and do too much at once.

marc480
July 23rd, 2009, 03:13 AM
Hi, new Ubuntu user here. I got a Live CD from a magazine, seemed like a good idea to see what its like. Well I liked it and tried to install to a dual-boot system. It aborted, twice. The other option was to do a full disk install, hmmm. I have a refirbished IBM Thinkpad loaded with Win XP pro. I did a OS reload before and thought about keeping impotant info off the computer as much as possible. So I decided to go for the full install. It went well.

I've tried to fiddle around with Ubuntu to run Second Life. Well, after a few tries at downloading drivers, the last attempt at starting SL crashed the computer and scrambled the display. Re-installing Ubuntu brought it back to life. SL will have to wait till I get more information on devices and drivers. Oh well.

I don't know if this will help anybody, but I thought I'd say Hi at the same time.

running_rabbit07
July 23rd, 2009, 04:13 AM
Hi, new Ubuntu user here. I got a Live CD from a magazine, seemed like a good idea to see what its like. Well I liked it and tried to install to a dual-boot system. It aborted, twice. The other option was to do a full disk install, hmmm. I have a refirbished IBM Thinkpad loaded with Win XP pro. I did a OS reload before and thought about keeping impotant info off the computer as much as possible. So I decided to go for the full install. It went well.

I've tried to fiddle around with Ubuntu to run Second Life. Well, after a few tries at downloading drivers, the last attempt at starting SL crashed the computer and scrambled the display. Re-installing Ubuntu brought it back to life. SL will have to wait till I get more information on devices and drivers. Oh well.

I don't know if this will help anybody, but I thought I'd say Hi at the same time.

If you want help for the Second Life you should start a thread in General Help (http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=331) about it. There are quite a few gamers in the Linux world , you just gotta get their attention. I stumbled upon Ubuntu by accident when searching for help with a bad case of Debian blues and no I love my Ubuntu. (when I'm not messing it up)

marc480
July 24th, 2009, 03:28 PM
Could be that my IBM laptop isnt good at gaming graphics. It was just barely adequate when it ran windows. Maybe I can find a desktop with no OS, now that idea doesn't scare me anymore. :) So I guess I'm not the first one to mess up with a Linux OS? (Chuckles)