PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Synchonizing data files and creating a NAS third data set

Odyssey1942
July 22nd, 2009, 12:10 AM
I am posting this in a linux forum, although it could be in networking (or another), because of the need for linux familiarity which is not as likely to be present in a networking forum.

Some time ago, I copied all the files from my Windoze computer over to a second hdd on my Ubunutu 8.04 machine and have been updating the folders with new docs, files, etc. I forgot to inform my wife who is linked to my old WXP computer and she has been happily updating those files. Now two sets of files.

So I now need to synchonize the two different sets of file into one and want to put that onto a NAS hdd on my network so that we are both accessing the same set of files in future.

I think one can do that with XCopy in Windows if you know the "start date" (i.e., the date I had copied the files over to my Ubunutu computer. But I don't know how to find that date, and once found how to issue the XCopy command in windows.

Also how would one duplicate that in Linux?

There may well be package software that will do this through a GUI

Hope I'm not too confused here. Anyone see a practical overall plan for this? TIA

Odyssey1942
July 23rd, 2009, 12:52 PM
Am I in the wrong forum? Hopefully someone in this big community has some ideas?

Kobalt
July 23rd, 2009, 01:05 PM
Why not try to use Grsync (the GUI for rsync (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/rsync)) ?