PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] first boot fails, movie player vanishes

Little Bit
July 21st, 2009, 01:07 PM
Hi!

My Ubuntu has the hiccups, and sugar (sweet-talking it) isn't helping, lol. I have two little issues:

First boot sometimes fails, but a "hard restart" makes it finish. It runs fine once it boots and loads though.

And someone sent me a movie clip attached to an e-mail. I chose "Open With..." and selected the movie player. It seems to start loading in a new window like it should, but then it vanishes! The file is still there, but the movie player starts - then aborts and disappears.

Thanks for your help!

Love,
Amy

Little Bit
July 21st, 2009, 08:04 PM
bump? hope that's okay...

Amy

radiocognition
July 21st, 2009, 10:15 PM
Everything on your linux machine generates logs. One easy way you can check what kind of errors you are having is opening the movie file with a command in the terminal. Open a terminal (Applications > Accessories > Terminal) and type into the prompt

cd /path/to/movie/file
totem filename

where filename is the name of the movie file. If there is any problem with the movie player, you will get some feedback through the terminal. Similarly enabling a verbose boot (text at login rather than the Ubuntu load screen) can be useful in identifying boot issues.

Little Bit
July 21st, 2009, 10:40 PM
Thank you! Maybe I can take it from there. This forum is wonderful and it's so sweet how you all help newbies!

Hugs,
Amy