PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Desktop disappears after inactivity

lolwhites
July 21st, 2009, 10:44 AM
If left inactive for a long time (long enough for the screen saver to have been running more than about 15 minutes), when I move the mouse to get the desktop back, it's disappeared. There's only the mouse and wallpaper; the icons and panels are gone, and there's no response to the keyboard. The only way to restart it to manually reboot, which, obviously, I'd rather not have to do.

Any advice?

elianthony
July 21st, 2009, 04:12 PM
I can't help with the disappearance of your panel, etc. But, for the meantime, instead of doing a hard reboot, you could do a CTRL+ALT+BACKSPACE to get out of your current session. That will drop you at a login prompt. I'd advise this instead of doing a manual reboot.

Cypher
July 21st, 2009, 04:18 PM
Provide specs about your machine, version of Ubuntu and so on. Always provide more information than you think necessary if you want to get some reasonable answers. All Linux machines are not equal..

philcamlin
July 21st, 2009, 04:19 PM
try disabling the screensaver :popcorn:

Cypher
July 21st, 2009, 04:25 PM
try disabling the screensaver :popcorn:

This is usually good advice, if you REALLY are worried about your monitor, you're better of just blanking it than running any screensaver..

lolwhites
July 21st, 2009, 04:34 PM
Have disabled the screensaver. CTRL+ALT+BACKSPACE won't work as the keyboard becomes as inactive as the desktop - even REISUB doesn't work.

Cypher - what specs do you need?