PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] wubi drivers

Dayofswords
July 21st, 2009, 05:51 AM
in the wubi site it says

Wubi is Safe

You keep Windows as it is, Wubi only adds an extra option to boot into Ubuntu. Wubi does not require you to modify the partitions of your PC, or to use a different bootloader, and does not install special drivers. It works just like any other application. Wubi is free of spyware and malware, and being open source, anyone can verify that.

does that mean it doesn't install all the driver ubuntu disc and installed on a seprate partion would normally install?

philcamlin
July 21st, 2009, 05:54 AM
yes it installs everything you would see in ubuntu if you installed from the cd

it doesnt install any crap to your windows machine :) is whats its saying besides the wubi application itself

woo my 700th post :D

lavinog
July 21st, 2009, 05:55 AM
in the wubi site it says

does that mean it doesn't install all the driver ubuntu disc and installed on a seprate partion would normally install?

Wubi is the full install with some file system differences from the normal install method.
It doesn't install any windows drivers. It does have the drivers that ubuntu needs.

Is there a specific driver you are concerned about?

Clorow
July 21st, 2009, 05:57 AM
No, it does not install on a separate partition. It uses a technique called "loopmounting", where an image of a partition is stored as a file on the Windows partition. It installs Ubuntu to that file, and you have the option to boot from it as if it were a partition.

And just a warning I have to say to everyone:
Only use Wubi to try Ubuntu temporarily! If you use it long-term, and eventually your PC crashes while in Ubuntu, Windows will also be broken.

philcamlin
July 21st, 2009, 05:58 AM
No, it does not install on a separate partition. It uses a technique called "loopmounting", where an image of a partition is stored as a file on the Windows partition. It installs Ubuntu to that file, and you have the option to boot from it as if it were a partition.

And just a warning I have to say to everyone:
Only use Wubi to try Ubuntu temporarily! If you use it long-term, and eventually your PC crashes while in Ubuntu, Windows will also be broken.

and if your windows breaks ubuntu does too

Clorow
July 21st, 2009, 06:20 AM
Heh. When I used Wubi, I was installing something in Synaptic, when a Debconf window popped up and crashed the computer somehow. IN THE MIDDLE OF AN INSTALLATION. I ran fsck and Ubuntu was fine afterwards, but Windows was completely broken - it wouldn't boot at all. Eventually we had to reinstall it.

lavinog
July 21st, 2009, 06:18 PM

Can you shed some light on how wubuntu crashing breaks windows?

halsboss2
October 3rd, 2009, 03:21 AM
yes please, I'd like to know exactly too, as WUBI would otherwise be my preferred installation method.