PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] book and dvd help

nw68868
July 20th, 2009, 11:50 PM
i am the definition of a noob. i have used one or two linux machines in the past running red had and was impressed enough that when my apple died i decided to get a linux machine instead of another apple. because of mobility and a budget crunch i just ordered a DELL MINI 10V preloaded with ubuntu 8.04. it will not arrive until the 11th and until then it would be great to be able to read a book to help me get started. with the redhat machines i read the redhat linux bible and it was helpful but technical. im a carpenter and not a rocket scientist. if you would please suggest the best book assuming i know very little.

secondly i could not bear to order the $99 external dvd player from dell so i was looking for suggestions in the $70 and lower category for a good, slim, and usb powered dvd player. i dont burn, i just watch movies on the road and dont need lots of crazy features. i just want a basic external that is small and lightweight and compatible with my install.

THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP

wojox
July 20th, 2009, 11:53 PM
There is a free ebook to download for ubuntu:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1052065

Don't know much about external HDD.

jeppewinther
July 21st, 2009, 03:57 AM
Afraid fishing for Hardware suggestions here might be a bit of a longshot, but as far as Learning is concerned, there are plenty of introductory websites out there with tips and tricks. Google for beginner and Ubuntu or Linux and you should be on the right track. Guess a book would be more convenient if you wrote that from the Library though, but then if you did, how about checking out the Library's selection?