PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Press twice for '

jural1
July 20th, 2009, 09:39 PM
NooB question. Just installed 9.04 with Alternate CD. Selected keyboard layout. Now I must press the ' key twice for it to work. I know this is something simple. Sorry but searched and couldn't find anything.

philcamlin
July 20th, 2009, 09:41 PM
what layout do you have?

check in

system > prefrences > keyboard :popcorn:

jural1
July 20th, 2009, 09:45 PM
US standard if I remember correctly. Not in front of it now. I did make sure the actual keyboard HW driver was correct. I was running an upgraded ver of 9.04. Didn't have this issue. Decided to reinstall with encryption. Sure that it is something I did wrong.

jimsheep
July 20th, 2009, 10:02 PM
it could be as simple as having selected either "us alternative" or "us international (intl)." i know that one or the other sports "dead keys," which allow you to type things like and by pressing ' then e or : then y, respectively...et cetera.

credobyte
July 20th, 2009, 10:13 PM
What if you type in ' + a ? For me it would mean ā ( and yes, I need to press ' x2 + backspace to get a single ' :D ). Would be easier if you could post here your keyboard layout as it is, not as you "remember" !

jural1
July 20th, 2009, 10:27 PM
I will. But have to get home to it first.

jural1
July 20th, 2009, 11:20 PM
It is amazing what "Reset to Defaults" will do for someone who knows no better. Thanks for all of the help.