PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Basic shred and Wine questions

Cuddles McKitten
July 20th, 2009, 08:07 PM
1. Does the shred command have any ability to shred free (unused) disk space?

2. I think I already know the answer in this one, but I need someone to destroy all hope for me. If I want to run a Windows program through Wine, do I absolutely need to have some sort of a Windows partition on my hard drive?

-Thanks

Mornedhel
July 20th, 2009, 08:13 PM
1. Does the shred command have any ability to shred free (unused) disk space?

shred shreds files.

2. I think I already know the answer in this one, but I need someone to destroy all hope for me. If I want to run a Windows program through Wine, do I absolutely need to have some sort of a Windows partition on my hard drive?

No, you don't. You can install Windows programs through Wine ; they'll be in "~/.wine/drive_c". It is also possible to run programs from an existing partition (handy in case you are dual booting), but not mandatory.

Cesaar
July 20th, 2009, 08:14 PM
2. No, you don't need to have any Windows partitions to run a Windows program through Wine.

Mornedhel
July 20th, 2009, 08:19 PM
Re. the shred question, I've just taken a look to the repositories, a package called secure-delete claims to include an utility to do what you need.

Cuddles McKitten
July 20th, 2009, 08:21 PM
Re. the shred question, I've just taken a look to the repositories, a package called secure-delete claims to include an utility to do what you need.

No, you don't. You can install Windows programs through Wine ; they'll be in "~/.wine/drive_c". It is also possible to run programs from an existing partition (handy in case you are dual booting), but not mandatory.

Hooray! Both problems came out better than I expected. Thanks.