PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Auto complete using Alias?

slughappy1
July 20th, 2009, 07:14 PM
I was wondering if there is a way to have the TAB auto complete to work using an Alias? I like to use the terminal to install programs, but I don't want to have to type in 'sudo apt-get install ' every time. I know, I know. I'm lazy. I want to be able to type 'gets' or 'canhaz'. I already have alias working perfectly. I just want to have the auto complete that 'sudo apt-get install ' has.

Does that make sense?

Cypher
July 21st, 2009, 04:03 PM
You can alias "sudo apt-get install", so in the terminal try:

$ alias gets="sudo apt-get install"
$ gets <package>

This should run the command to grab <package>. If this works, then copy the alias line above into your ~/.bash_aliases file.

slughappy1
July 21st, 2009, 07:53 PM
Well I know that this works
alias gets="sudo apt-get install"

But it didn't do anything when I created the file ~/.bash_aliases. After reboot it says
bash: gets: command not found

Lets say I wanted to install 3dchess. I also wanted to know if there was a way to type in
gets 3dch[TAB] and have it auto complete the package name.

bacardiandwatermelon
July 21st, 2009, 07:58 PM
Can't you just put it in your .bashrc file?

slughappy1
July 21st, 2009, 08:30 PM
Yes I could just put it in .bashrc. I figured out why the .bash_aliases wasn't working. In .bashrc I had to change

#if [ -f ~/.bash_aliases ]; then
# . ~/.bash_aliases
#fi to

if [ -f ~/.bash_aliases ]; then
. ~/.bash_aliases
fi

Now it works perfectly on every boot.

But I am guessing since nobody has answered the other part of my question, that it is not possible to get the [TAB] auto-completion to work with it?

bostonaholic
July 21st, 2009, 08:59 PM
I was wondering if there is a way to have the TAB auto complete to work using an Alias? I like to use the terminal to install programs, but I don't want to have to type in 'sudo apt-get install ' every time. I know, I know. I'm lazy. I want to be able to type 'gets' or 'canhaz'. I already have alias working perfectly. I just want to have the auto complete that 'sudo apt-get install ' has.

Does that make sense?

I understand your question completely and it bugs me that I haven't found a solution yet either. I use an alias for update/upgrade but not for install for this reason.

SuperSonic4
July 21st, 2009, 09:02 PM
if [ -f /etc/bash_completion ]; then
. /etc/bash_completion
fi

I googled a code and found something about it here: http://embraceubuntu.com/2006/01/28/turn-on-bash-smart-completion/

sisco311
July 21st, 2009, 09:12 PM
But I am guessing since nobody has answered the other part of my question, that it is not possible to get the [TAB] auto-completion to work with it?

add this to the ~/.bash_completion file:

_canhaz()
{
cur=`_get_cword`
COMPREPLY=( $( apt-cache pkgnames $cur 2> /dev/null ) )
return 0

} &&
complete -F _canhaz $filenames canhaz

EDIT:
log out from bash and log back in.

EDIT2:
replace canhaz with your 'apt-get install' alias.

bostonaholic
July 21st, 2009, 09:17 PM
if [ -f /etc/bash_completion ]; then
. /etc/bash_completion
fi

I googled a code and found something about it here: http://embraceubuntu.com/2006/01/28/turn-on-bash-smart-completion/

That doesn't work for aliases.

Kangarooo
December 5th, 2010, 10:51 PM
add this to the ~/.bash_completion file:

_canhaz()
{
cur=`_get_cword`
COMPREPLY=( $( apt-cache pkgnames $cur 2> /dev/null ) )
return 0

} &&
complete -F _canhaz $filenames canhaz

EDIT:
log out from bash and log back in.

EDIT2:
replace canhaz with your 'apt-get install' alias.
Doesnt work.. It autocompletley adds filenames but not programmnames from database of repos

strid3r
December 19th, 2012, 11:24 PM
Thanks!

oldos2er
December 20th, 2012, 12:51 AM
Old thread closed.