PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Video Card and sound problems. Help

Caveman69
July 20th, 2009, 07:13 PM
Hi everyone! First off please excuse my extremely bad grammer and spelling. Where all human beings here and there is no need to be implelight.

My problem is that I have no sound at all. As in when it starts up. BUT I did some tinkering with the sound preferences and I now have broken bitts of sound. They sound more like static well somewhat. I recently installed jackalope 64bit version on this labtop also. I hope that with this information I will be able to recive much help as possible. My other problem is that I want to install proper video driver. The graphics card is a ATI Radaon HD 3200. I recentlly helped my friend install his which was nvidida. But Ive been having problems with more of the ati familly. I guess nvida is more user friendly with ububntu.

I downloaded the videodriver on the ati website. www.ati.com (http://www.ati.com) And downloaded the linux version for this dirver. I also downloaded the tutuial on how to install this driver. Now I do exactly what it says and it keeps promting me saying I need to be running it as the super user. NOW I've read some tutorils on how do do this. But none have been successusfull. :(

All I ask is that if anyone could please give a very detailed information list of somekind. This would be of great help to me. Also please forgive me if I posted this in the wrong place. I've have been useign ubuntu for roughly 4 months now. SO PLEASE PLEASE DESCRIBE IN MUCH DETAIL AS POSSIBLE.

All will be thanked and greatly apperated. Thank you for your help!

sincerly yours,
Caveman

hp pavilion entertainnent pc

here is the link to the specs and it should give a much more detailed info about my computer then I could explain.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9167689&type=product&id=1218041150488

Caveman69
July 20th, 2009, 07:27 PM
lil to early for a bump but im kinda in a bind.. Please forgive me lol

Yvan300
July 20th, 2009, 07:35 PM
Ok, firstly jaunty uses pulse for rendering sound. It is fully featured but a bit buggy for some people.I suggest changing the sound driver to ALSA or the OSA one. Now with the video driver, most of the time, there is no need to download the driver from the ATI site. Just click syste> administrator> hardware drivers and install the propietary driver if available. Also you may want to try using the 32bit version of ubuntu, easier to work with imao.

Caveman69
July 20th, 2009, 08:12 PM
no luck with any of your suggestions.. Thank you for your time. Can anyone else suggest something to fix my problem with the audio?

Caveman69
July 20th, 2009, 08:41 PM
bump... :/

Caveman69
July 20th, 2009, 08:52 PM
UPDATE: Ok after trying one of the suggestions from changing the sound perfences. I have no sound at all. I am not even getting the static sound now. Or bits and pices of noise. Please someone help..

Caveman69
July 20th, 2009, 09:28 PM
BUMP AGAIN.. :x

Caveman69
July 20th, 2009, 09:41 PM
... grrr.. today is going to be a very long day.. Any WAY. bump.. Still taking suggestions. please help..

Yvan300
July 20th, 2009, 10:20 PM
Could you please stop bumping the thread and concerning the sound, did you try all the choices, there should be at least 5 of them.

Caveman69
July 21st, 2009, 12:24 AM
yes I've tryed all of them. But please be more sepefict with the details if you can

Caveman69
July 21st, 2009, 02:54 AM
bump~ again ...

Caveman69
July 21st, 2009, 06:04 PM
UPDATE: I have now discovered that the dv4-1225dx hp pavilion Entertainment PC( that I have 9.01 on) Has some kind of sound issues with mute key and the sound jack for head phones. So.. I looked on here and found 2 ways to fix it but. I was wanting to see if someone could explain it better in a more simple mannor. This would be greatly helpful. Thank you all for your time and effort.