PDA

View Full Version : searching application

krakk
July 20th, 2009, 06:23 PM
not sure where to post this, all green at Linux so..

Im looking for a simple application that can represent the development of the exchange ratio between 2 (or more) currencies graphically and display this as a simple window on my Ubuntu 9.04 desktop.

I tried google and such but Im not to familiar with the terminology of what I am searching for..

Can anyone help? :)

Sef
July 20th, 2009, 11:56 PM
moved to absolute beginner.

wojox
July 21st, 2009, 12:04 AM
Try
Applications > Add/Remove programs and scroll through there.
Or
System > Administration > Synaptic Package Manager

CatKiller
July 21st, 2009, 12:42 AM
Do you like Screenlets?

I understand that the Stocks Screenlet is able to retrieve currency information (although someone may have written a dedicated currency Screenlet since I last looked). I also understand that the Stocks Screenlet is able to provide this information as a graph if you want to see how the values change over time. If it doesn't already do what you want it to do you can probably modify it so that it does. As I understand it, Screenlets are pretty simple scripts that use pretty straightforward languages - Python, JavaScript, some HTML and CSS - so it should hopefully be a fairly gentle introduction to programming if you haven't done any before.

(Disclaimer: I haven't done any programming before, and I haven't changed any Screenlets in any meaningful way)