PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] problems with boot options

lmgranger
July 20th, 2009, 03:43 PM
I am using Hardy Heron, 8.04 on a Dell D800 laptop. I have updated several times in the past year, and now have - on the options to boot page - upwards of 20 choices to boot UBUNTU before I can scroll down far enough to find Windows as a choice to boot from a separate partition on the HD. Is there a way I can eliminate some of these choices and why do they keep adding in? I may transfer data and go to the new version. Would that solve this problem?

~sHyLoCk~
July 20th, 2009, 03:45 PM
I am using Hardy Heron, 8.04 on a Dell D800 laptop. I have updated several times in the past year, and now have - on the options to boot page - upwards of 20 choices to boot UBUNTU before I can scroll down far enough to find Windows as a choice to boot from a separate partition on the HD. Is there a way I can eliminate some of these choices and why do they keep adding in? I may transfer data and go to the new version. Would that solve this problem?

sudo gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst

Delete the irrelevant [as in old entries] and Keep the most recent entry and the Fallback entry..

TeoBigusGeekus
July 20th, 2009, 03:46 PM
It's just a list of older kernels.
Open terminal and type

gksudo gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst
Post us the contents.