PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] is this OS good for a old computer?

brianhillman
July 20th, 2009, 01:49 PM
I have a cf-28 running at a blazing .6Ghz toughbook and wasw wondering if ubuntu would be the fastest ( the only other OS's i have looked at is XP). If not what do you guys think i should use.It is only used for web browsing.
-thanks

Cheesemill
July 20th, 2009, 02:04 PM
What are the rest of your specs?
Memory, CPU type, etc.

wizard10000
July 20th, 2009, 02:05 PM
I have a cf-28 running at a blazing .6Ghz toughbook and wasw wondering if ubuntu would be the fastest ( the only other OS's i have looked at is XP). If not what do you guys think i should use.It is only used for web browsing.
-thanks

Ubuntu wouldn't be my first choice - Xbuntu might work a little better.

There are other lightweight Linux distributions like Damn Small Linux, Vector Linux and others. A lot of people will suggest Puppy Linux but I generally don't recommend Puppy for folks new to Linux as I'm not fond of their security model as it's a single-user distribution and the user has enough rights to break the system really quickly ;-)

Haven't tried Xbuntu on older hardware but last time I checked Vector worked great on old hardware and even supported my 300MHz IBM Thinkpad and all its weird hardware.

I'd try Xbuntu first, I think.

Good luck -

perito
July 20th, 2009, 02:05 PM
if its an old computer, use Xubuntu (http://www.xubuntu.org/)

mhurst102282
July 20th, 2009, 02:10 PM
I agree Xubuntu would be your best option.

Cheesemill
July 20th, 2009, 02:11 PM
IMHO Xubuntu isn't that light anymore.
For the lightest Ubuntu derivative take a look at CrunchBang (http://crunchbanglinux.org/).

brianhillman
July 20th, 2009, 02:13 PM
thanks everyone Xbuntu it is
!

JohnLau
July 21st, 2009, 08:52 AM
CrunchBang (to newbies) is too hard to customize. If I were you, I'll go for Xubuntu :D
I have just written a CrunchBang Linux Review (http://compustorm.no-ip.org/2009/07/crunchbang-linux-review/) which I think might be useeful for you guys to take a first look on this distro :D
John

p0cky84
July 21st, 2009, 09:07 AM
Archlinux, end of discussion.

Crunchy the Headcrab
July 21st, 2009, 09:12 AM
Archlinux, end of discussion.
Geez I hope you're kidding :lolflag:

Grez
July 21st, 2009, 09:14 AM
I managed to get xubuntu 9.04 to install on a 10 year old desktop at work running at 533MHz with 192MB of RAM. No problems with it at all and it was faster and more stable than the Windows 98 install that was on there originally.

They quickly replaced my machine with a 2GHz 512MB model and I'm now using kubuntu on that.

p0cky84
July 21st, 2009, 09:15 AM
Geez I hope you're kidding :lolflag:
Why would I be kidding?

Crunchy the Headcrab
July 21st, 2009, 09:17 AM
Well, I might be jumping to conclusions, but I'm assuming this guy is a novice. Arch linux is great, but it's the kind of thing you want somebody to hold your hand through, if you've never done it before.

p0cky84
July 21st, 2009, 09:20 AM
Well, I might be jumping to conclusions, but I'm assuming this guy is a novice. Arch linux is great, but it's the kind of thing you want somebody to hold your hand through, if you've never done it before.

Ok, maybe you're right. ;P

3rdalbum
July 21st, 2009, 12:09 PM
It all depends how much RAM is in it. If it's a 600 megahertz machine it probably comes with 128 megabytes of RAM or less. Xubuntu won't run on that.

A more appropriate distribution would be Puppy Linux.

devildoc5
July 21st, 2009, 03:28 PM
I am going to have to throw my 2,3,4 or 5 cents in here and say that I have two old OLD desktops. One has 128M Ram and a 300MHz processor and one 256M ram and a 333MHZ processor. I installed Damn Small Linux on both of them and they are actually comparable in start up times to my laptop when I boot it in "vista" mode.

DSL is a "pretty" OS from my stand point as it is easier than puppy to allow the user to have all the nice eye candy like transparent terminal and all that stuff. Obviously you wont be running Compiz on it, but it is small and does provide some decent eye candy at such a small tax on "ancient" equipment.

Also if you are just using it for web browsing this would be perfect as DSL is capable of running on only 64M RAM without ever being installed..........

ajji
July 21st, 2009, 03:35 PM
Xubuntu will be the right choice for you. :KS

3rdalbum
July 21st, 2009, 04:15 PM
Xubuntu will be the right choice for you. :KS

Assuming he has enough memory, which is not a certainty given the age of the laptop. Old styles of RAM are very expensive too, so it's not like he can just pop down to the local shop and buy a DDR2 stick for $15.

mudcat
July 21st, 2009, 08:32 PM
thanks everyone Xbuntu it is
!
you also might want to try something like Damn Small Linux or Puppy Linux for a computer that old

LewRockwell
July 21st, 2009, 10:06 PM
think we've moved on to a new thread

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1219259