PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Compiz versus Aero Glass: Which one do you prefer?

bhanja_Trinanjan
July 20th, 2009, 08:34 AM
Hello!
My vote goes for Aero Glass in Vista.

Compiz does look better than Aero and there is a lot of whiz bang in its fancy visual effects.

But Compiz has one glaring flaw: to my knowledge, it isn’t possible to jump to one of several open windows in a single step.
This is possible in Aero, where one can directly switch to any open window by clicking on it. (Both Alt-tab and Flip 3D)

But do Alt-tab, or for that matter anything, in Ubuntu Compiz and you have to cycle through all the preceding windows in order to reach a particular one.

Am I missing some Compiz feature here?
Even app switching with Group/Ungroup requires more steps in Compiz than with Alt-tab in Vista.

bryonak
July 20th, 2009, 10:23 PM
All the application switchers (Ring, Shift, classic Alt+Tab, Scale) have an additional option to allow mouse selection, which is off by default.
You have to install the compizconfig-settings-manager to access it.

bhanja_Trinanjan
July 21st, 2009, 05:28 AM
All the application switchers (Ring, Shift, classic Alt+Tab, Scale) have an additional option to allow mouse selection, which is off by default.

I installed the settings manager through synaptic. Have to find that option. Why on earth did they turn such a basic feature off by default? :p

philcamlin
July 21st, 2009, 05:29 AM
i like compiz

guitar_man
July 21st, 2009, 10:34 AM
Hello!

Compiz does look better than Aero and there is a lot of whiz bang in its fancy visual effects.

But Compiz has one glaring flaw: to my knowledge, it isn’t possible to jump to one of several open windows in a single step.
This is possible in Aero, where one can directly switch to any open window by clicking on it. (Both Alt-tab and Flip 3D)

But do Alt-tab, or for that matter anything, in Ubuntu Compiz and you have to cycle through all the preceding windows in order to reach a particular one.

Am I missing some Compiz feature here?
Even app switching with Group/Ungroup requires more steps in Compiz than with Alt-tab in Vista.

Is this just a comparison of two visual?:confused:
or Your saying that vista is better than
linux...Whatever it is i like COMPIZ ..:D

Arup
July 21st, 2009, 10:36 AM
Compiz and by miles.

powel212
July 21st, 2009, 03:01 PM
Aero is slick but it is a one trick pony. It only does one thing.

p.

bhanja_Trinanjan
July 21st, 2009, 05:14 PM

How do I allow mouse selection? I already installed compiz config mgr.

bryonak
July 21st, 2009, 06:46 PM
How do I allow mouse selection? I already installed compiz config mgr.

The Application Switcher (I guess the default Alt+Tab) doesn't seem to have this option... on the other hand, it seems inferior to the Static Application Switcher, which I think will replace it in the future.

For the Static Application Switcher, it's under Behaviour -> Allow Mouse Selection
For the Ring Switcher, it's under Misc. Options, while Scale has it enabled by default.

MobileDev
July 21st, 2009, 07:29 PM
Compiz ROCKS and both Microsoft and Apple will never catch up. It's a known fact that open source software develops faster then proprietary software.

avacomputers
July 21st, 2009, 07:35 PM
Compiz, but I think I need a video card.

cb2410
July 22nd, 2009, 02:20 AM
Compiz

hibliss
July 22nd, 2009, 02:24 AM
It is all in what you are used to. Me personally, I turn aero off in Vista, and I only use Compiz for the cube (really just to show it off to others).

Oh, and in Kubuntu, there a window picker just like aero, put your mouse in the top left corner and it will show all open Windows like Aero.

bryonak
July 23rd, 2009, 04:00 PM
Oh, and in Kubuntu, there a window picker just like aero, put your mouse in the top left corner and it will show all open Windows like Aero.

Just open the compizconfig-settings-manager and take a look around.
In the Commands menu, you can assign any edge or corner to any command.
In the Scale options menu, you can assign any edge or corner to the scaling functionality... though I haven't figured out how to show minimised windows yet.

kdetech
July 23rd, 2009, 09:09 PM
Compiz by a mile. I like Water effect and wobblywindows. I in fact put it in my guide under theming section of linux.host22.com

Dullstar
July 23rd, 2009, 09:33 PM
Love Compiz. Besides, I accidentally found that KDE has the feature that you say Compiz lacks. I think there might be a version of Compiz for KDE anyways, I thought I saw one when I was trying to help someone else.

bryonak
July 23rd, 2009, 10:17 PM
Love Compiz. Besides, I accidentally found that KDE has the feature that you say Compiz lacks. I think there might be a version of Compiz for KDE anyways, I thought I saw one when I was trying to help someone else.

KDE has a compositor on it's own, integrated with KWin. That's why it's incompatible with Compiz.

Besides, I don't see any features mentioned that Compiz actually lacks, you just need to use the right settings ;)

kazulius
November 10th, 2009, 11:54 AM
Hi there! This is my first post here...
I like Aero, but Compiz brings much more options to customize effects. I think that the Cube, by itself, is enough to finish this discussion.
By the way, I run Compiz without any problem under Ubuntu on my "dinossaur" Athlon XP 2200+ / 1,25GB RAM / GeForce 5200 FX 128MB AGP 8x (running at 4x).
Now I'm running Windows Seven with Aero enabled. There's a trick for running games on it that Ubuntu developers could copy.
In a shortcut properties, there's an option to "disable composite". This makes a LOT of difference to run games.
In Ubuntu, I know, you can disable/enable composite by the Terminal (or an icon if you install it), but I think is really easier to do it in the shortcut.
At the end, I do prefer none of them, because both consumes resources, and I just want performance! ;)

stinkeye
November 10th, 2009, 12:35 PM
Just open the compizconfig-settings-manager and take a look around.
In the Commands menu, you can assign any edge or corner to any command.
In the Scale options menu, you can assign any edge or corner to the scaling functionality... though I haven't figured out how to show minimised windows yet.
Someone has http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=976002 (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=976002)

jean noel
December 18th, 2009, 04:33 PM
Compiz.
I have been using vista home premium, and I must say that the two cannot be compared. The translucent border can be obtained by adding emerald. In aeroglass. you cannot switch between windows in a taskbar by rolling the middle button.
I can "roll up" the active window as you would do with vertical blinds.

Gadgets may be, but compiz, just like ubuntu, is in a class of its own..

Cuco3
December 19th, 2009, 02:36 AM
Hello!

This is possible in Aero, where one can directly switch to any open window by clicking on it. (Both Alt-tab and Flip 3D) Yes, there is. Even better than Windows. There's the methods that others have suggested, but I have a good one myself.

Go to Compiz and search for "Scale" and click on it. Select the "Initiate Window Picker for All Windows" for whatever you want (keyboard/mouse/screen edge). Personally, I have it for screen edge "Right" so when I move my mouse all the way to the right, it shows me all open windows in a much more convenient format.

Side note, I can't believe you argued that Aero is better because it has one (of it's few) feature that allows you to get your work done faster vs the million useful features that Compiz has.

Compiz is light-years ahead of Aero.

Dougie_Fresh
December 19th, 2009, 04:25 AM
deff compiz.. although i dont think ill ever find the need to use my desktop cube.. but it sure is fun to show off :)

maximo1010
March 9th, 2011, 03:19 PM
Aero is slick but it is a one trick pony. It only does one thing.

p.

Glass, (blur), 3D and glide aren't one thing.

Still, Compiz does way more.

Copper Bezel
March 9th, 2011, 04:23 PM
Right, they're four things, but they're all things Compiz does. = ) I feel like I've betrayed my Compiziness, but I actually have almost everything configured to work the way it does in 7. I use the regular application switcher with non-focus windows set to invisible, I have Scale set to a corner click, I use variants of Glide for window animations, I don't use Trailfocus or the Cube, etc. There is one item I miss from Windows 7 (now available in Gnome Shell, too,) which is dragging a window past the top edge to maximize it, but I'd really only want it to maximize vertically - which I can do from the titlebar with Metacity and Compiz and can't do at all in Windows. So. = )

Edit: Holy CRAP, the Scale hack is the best thing ever. It has already saved me the time it took to configure. You can't say that of most Compiz features.

Copper Bezel
March 12th, 2011, 10:49 PM
Update: I found a better way to make use of the Scale hack than as it was intended. Set it to a corner click with its default behavior (unminimize and Scale all windows,) then set normal Scale to the same corner as an edge binding. Scale is as fast as ever and works as usual, but if you click, it draws up the minimized windows into the same Scale instance.

XsheepX
March 13th, 2011, 02:54 AM
Definitely Compiz. I don't know how I would live without my wiggly windows, desktop cube, 3d skydome, and fully transparent gnome-panel.