PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] /home partition for fresh ubuntu installs

northwestuntu
July 19th, 2009, 07:24 PM
i have a 400 gig HD. pretty much im getting tired of moving my data off to reinstall new versions of ubuntu every 6 months. i like doing fresh installs and not updates of ubuntu.

so would making the home folder it's own partition be a good idea so i can leave all my data there and then i can format the rest for new versions of ubuntu?

how much room should i make for the ubuntu install?

and what's the best way to do this?

thanks

SuperSonic4
July 19th, 2009, 07:28 PM
Yes it would be a good thing in your case. You can use gparted to create a partition and then edit fstab to direct it to the new partition

earthpigg
July 19th, 2009, 07:33 PM
the easiest way to do it in your case would be at the next fresh install.

select 'manually partition' -> make a 20-30 gig partition, set 'mount point' to / -> leave your swap partition be -> make the rest a partition with 'mount point' set to /home -> and ur done

SuperSonic4
July 19th, 2009, 07:35 PM
Perhaps but the next release will be in October which is a long time away

raymondh
July 19th, 2009, 07:36 PM
my root (/) is 20GB. My swap is 2GB (down from 4Gb). The rest for /home (about 350, more or less).

northwestuntu
July 19th, 2009, 07:39 PM

select 'manually partition' -> make a 20-30 gig partition, set 'mount point' to / -> leave your swap partition be -> make the rest a partition with 'mount point' set to /home -> and ur done

yes i think your right in just waiting until the new version comes out to do this. seems like it will be easier.

northwestuntu
July 19th, 2009, 07:43 PM
my root (/) is 20GB. My swap is 2GB (down from 4Gb). The rest for /home (about 350, more or less).

that sounds about right for me.

northwestuntu
July 19th, 2009, 07:45 PM

after the new install will my files already be waiting in my home folder? or do i need to point ubuntu to the new home folder area?

SuperSonic4
July 19th, 2009, 07:47 PM
Your /home folder will be blank when you've first created it but ubuntu will automatically create fstab with /home pointed to the new partition so when it's installed it will recognise it as a separate home

northwestuntu
July 19th, 2009, 07:54 PM
Your /home folder will be blank when you've first created it but ubuntu will automatically create fstab with /home pointed to the new partition so when it's installed it will recognise it as a separate home

so then after that i should be able to format the / and install new versions of ubuntu and my /home will stay untouched and ubuntu will pick it up after each new install.

earthpigg
July 19th, 2009, 07:56 PM
after the new install will my files already be waiting in my home folder? or do i need to point ubuntu to the new home folder area?

the first time, it will be blank, until you either restore your backed up /home or start installing things, bookmarking things, etc...

...but after that on 'fresh' installs, as long as you ensure you select 'no' for 'format partition', and set that partition to mount as /home, your stuff will be waiting for you.

northwestuntu
July 19th, 2009, 07:58 PM
the first time, it will be blank, until you either restore your backed up /home or start installing things, bookmarking things, etc...

...but after that on 'fresh' installs, as long as you ensure you select 'no' for 'format partition', and set that partition to mount as /home, your stuff will be waiting for you.

ok gotcha.

thanks

SuperSonic4
July 19th, 2009, 08:01 PM
so then after that i should be able to format the / and install new versions of ubuntu and my /home will stay untouched and ubuntu will pick it up after each new install.

Yes.

On that note it may be wise to check it once in a while and manually remove anything you don't need anymore unless you simply don't care XD