PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] Gnome 3 and Gnome Office

fimfree
July 19th, 2009, 01:23 PM
Hi,

I love gnome applications. Their interface is very simple and it just work - as they say. I do use Evolution, Empathy, F-spot, Cheese, ... I have even sacrified Firefox for Epiphany as it does anything I need. Yes it crashes but it recovers. Anyway I love those apps because they fit well in my gnome desktop and because they work also with the gnome-global-menu.

The only problem now is the gnome office. Even the name here doesn't fit as there is no suite just some programs gathered to form what we call gnome-office and from all these apps, there is no presentation program!!!!

The question now is how the Gnome project is going to make the big move to gnome 3 without having an office suite, one that normal users can rely on.

At the time I use IBM Lotus Symphony just because it works with the Global Menu. Unfortunately it takes all my 512 MIB Laptop resources.

Jimleko211
July 19th, 2009, 02:04 PM
It kind of does. Check out the GNOME Office package in Add/Remove.

Katalog
July 31st, 2009, 12:46 AM
Hoepfully some day they'll get around to making GnomeOffice more than just a loose collaboration of applications and turn it into a viable suite like KOffice and OOo. I've been waiting almost 9 years for that to happen and it still hasn't even though there is a GnomeOffice page out there somewhere with links to all the individual applications. And even at that, it's still lacking as far as having a viable database application (I don't know anyone that uses Glom) and a PowerPoint equivalent although there is supposedly development in progress to create something similar based on libpresent.

russo.mic
July 31st, 2009, 04:59 AM
Well, wait a second, why re-invent the wheel? There are plenty of office suites to choose from, most notably Open Office.

I'd rather they focus on making a great GUI and use OpenOffice, as it runs fine for my needs...

Katalog
July 31st, 2009, 08:21 AM
Well, wait a second, why re-invent the wheel? There are plenty of office suites to choose from, most notably Open Office.

I'd rather they focus on making a great GUI and use OpenOffice, as it runs fine for my needs...

Two reasons I can think of off the top of my head:

1) Better integration

2) Choice is always a good thing, and having one more wouldn't be a bad thing IMO.

Aside from that, due to the tight GNOME integration we would probably receive more regular incremental updates through the repos rather than waiting until the next Ubuntu release to get the latest version of OOo. There's no reason they can't focus on making a great GUI and develop a well integrated office suite. Why not be able to have your cake and eat it too? Besides, I personally love Abiword. I find it to be much faster and more responsive than OOo Writer.