PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] comparison between clamav, avg, avast, and bitdefender for linux

pythonscript
July 18th, 2009, 09:07 PM
Out of the four (clamav, avg, avast, and bitdefender) does anyone know which has the highest virus detection rate? I'm making a live CD that I'd like to incorporate an antivirus scanner, but I'd rather not install all four, so I'm hoping to install the best one (in general). I'm not concerned with open source, trial periods, stuff like that, I'm just looking for virus and *ware detection rates. Thanks!

jrusso2
July 18th, 2009, 09:16 PM
These are all for Windows Virus. The one with the best detection rate is Avira Antivir, by the tests I read

I think ClamAV does detect some Linux virus but they are old. Also some of these will detect and not repair like AVG 8.5

pythonscript
July 18th, 2009, 09:18 PM
Sorry, I wasn't clear enough. I'm making this live CD to use in diagnostics/repair of windows systems, so I need the best one to detect windows viruses from within linux.

jrusso2
July 18th, 2009, 09:20 PM
Sorry, I wasn't clear enough. I'm making this live CD to use in diagnostics/repair of windows systems, so I need the best one to detect windows viruses from within linux.

You don't have it listed. Avira Antivir. Second would be Bit Defender.

pythonscript
July 18th, 2009, 09:22 PM
Thanks, that's exactly what I need.