PDA

View Full Version : Kubuntu School Project

neo92vip
July 17th, 2009, 07:52 PM
Hi,
I would like to share with you what I have made for my Design and Technology:Graphic Products project.

I have designed the graphics for the CD Case and CD template. Also I have made a Point of Sale Display in the shape of Kubuntu Logo.

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/marvin.rojek/KubuntuSchoolProject

SonnHalter
July 17th, 2009, 07:55 PM
I don't think the red text matches well, I mean you have a nice calming blue and then the red looks like part of a monster truck rally.

other than that, really good job on the coggy thing.

neo92vip
July 17th, 2009, 07:59 PM
Well, I tried to make it stand out :) Maybe if I used a bit darker red... :)

el.norman
July 17th, 2009, 08:01 PM
Very good job :smile:

Marlonsm
July 17th, 2009, 08:07 PM
Very nice, indeed.

Well, I tried to make it stand out :) Maybe if I used a bit darker red... :)

Maybe not dark red, I'd use either other tone of blue or even some kind of green.

neo92vip
July 17th, 2009, 08:13 PM
i think it's just matter of personal colour preferences :) I decided to use white with red and give it a glow-like effect :)

vinutux
July 17th, 2009, 08:28 PM
i think it's just matter of personal colour preferences :) I decided to use white with red and give it a glow-like effect :)

you are using blue shades ....so red is not suitable there..plain white without red border look charm....(white,black,dark or light blue shades with white outline prefred...but not red and dark red )

mrnt3250
July 18th, 2009, 05:53 AM
pretty nice job!:popcorn:

Newfoundlander
July 18th, 2009, 08:22 PM
Excellent job on the display! Very creative and top-notch workmanship there. I can imagine Canonical using the display for presentations in schools. How did you make the display and what software did you use for the CD layouts?

I agree with the others that the red should be removed, it is just too jarring with the blue colour scheme. White lettering with a black outline would look sharp.

The Predator font isn't very professional. May I suggest BPreplay (http://www.dafont.com/bpreplay.font?nb_ppp=50) instead, it is similar to the Ubuntu lettering but has captials, italics, and different weights.

izizzle
July 18th, 2009, 08:27 PM
Very nice, indeed.

Maybe not dark red, I'd use either other tone of blue or even some kind of green.

I would use an aqua color or a turquoise-ish color. I like the cd holder thing though.

neo92vip
July 19th, 2009, 12:47 AM
I can imagine Canonical using the display for presentations in schools. How did you make the display and what software did you use for the CD layouts?

Point of Sale display making process :)

I used TechSoft 2D Design http://www.techsoft.co.uk/2dv2.htm . This is the only software that was available on school's network so I had no choice and I used that. I used a plotter, Rolland GX-24(I think), to cut out the cardboard; it is pretty nice piece of equipment. Then i cutted it out with a modelling knife and then glued it with an "endothermic glue" ... it was a nice experience because my fingers went cold :mrgreen:

Then came the graphics... it was a painful job. Although I could use option "FILL" in 2D Design it was VERY slow to scroll the page and use the most basic functions such as pressing a button in a menu :frown: After everything was printed and cutted, I put double sided tape on the back and glue it on because when i used "normal" glue it peeled off and when i used the liquid "endothermic" glue the ink changed colour and smudged. :frown: So i ended up making 5 cogs.. which 2 failed and I used them for testing purposes :D

-=================================-

To make the CD template and CD case I used PagePlus X3. Again, I was limited to what software I had in school. I downloaded the file from internet with the CD template and CD case dimensions as an image and I just did my graphics on top of that... to keep it the right size :)