PDA

View Full Version : Days like these....

Diggs808
July 16th, 2009, 03:57 PM
To be honest, I wish that Ubuntu worked better with exchange calendars. Then I could dump Vista on my work computer entirely. Sadly, until that day comes, I am stuck with Vista.

Trying to get work done on my Vista machine is slow going today. Why? Because its VIRUS SCAN DAY!! Which means that my computer runs at nearly full CPU capacity while Symantec is scanning the 196,000 files in the Windows Vista OS. It also means that my memory (3gb) is hovering around 67-70% usage. Makes me want to go home early and stare lovingly at my laptop running Ubuntu. Does anyone else get stuck with something OTHER than Ubuntu during the day? Does it make you like Linux more or less?

mamamia88
July 16th, 2009, 04:02 PM
college student uses xp on campus because i don't feel like dragging my 17" laptop in with me not really that bad because i don't care if the school gets a virus and they are super locked down anyway

CharmyBee
July 16th, 2009, 04:27 PM
Symmantec

I see a problem here.

Diggs808
July 16th, 2009, 04:33 PM
I see a problem here.

Whoops...problem solved :-)

elianthony
July 16th, 2009, 06:14 PM
On XP at work right now, and yes, I despise using these machines at times. Most of the time, I just tolerate them. Some of the machines I use here at work are more powerful than my home machine, but way slower thanks to XP, & all the crap that comes with it.

I find myself thinking about how much more work I could get done, and smoothly, if I had Ubuntu machines here.

Tipped OuT
July 16th, 2009, 06:19 PM
Well you know... at least Microsoft is trying to get back on the right track with Windows 7. I really hope they do. :)

chriskin
July 16th, 2009, 06:24 PM
i sometimes get bored with ubuntu, all you have to do to take care of the system is update once in a while and clean the cache when you remember to do it

yet, when i was using windows , i had virus scans, spyware scans, defrags, registry fixes, etc etc , life was full of adventure and challenges :)

Marlonsm
July 16th, 2009, 06:27 PM
Well you know... at least Microsoft is trying to get back on the right track with Windows 7. I really hope they do. :)

+1.

Windows 7 really seems to be better than XP and Vista, but some people said that the Beta and the RC, even being very fast and responsive at first, get slower after some time, just like XP and Vista, I didn't see that myself, because my Win 7 install somehow broke my XP in a few weeks, before slowing down, so I had to reformat.:( Well... we'll have to wait to see how good it really is.

But Win 7 won't be anti-virus free, so there will still be virus-scans slowing everything down.

chriskin
July 16th, 2009, 06:30 PM
my fresh install of windows 7 used 1.3gb ram and had my quad-core @ ~3ghz cpu at 50%, and all these were the same moment i started it.
so no, there isn't any good work done here :P

rbishop
July 16th, 2009, 06:35 PM
Never really looked back on XP since moving to Ubuntu.....I use XP at work and don't have any problems....but then again we just got new machines with fresh installs... But even our old ones were not that bad...one of the advantages of working for a tech company that lets us be our own local admins.....

Swarms
July 16th, 2009, 06:46 PM
To be honest, I wish that Ubuntu worked better with exchange calendars. Then I could dump Vista on my work computer entirely. Sadly, until that day comes, I am stuck with Vista.

Trying to get work done on my Vista machine is slow going today. Why? Because its VIRUS SCAN DAY!! Which means that my computer runs at nearly full CPU capacity while Symantec is scanning the 196,000 files in the Windows Vista OS. It also means that my memory (3gb) is hovering around 67-70% usage. Makes me want to go home early and stare lovingly at my laptop running Ubuntu. Does anyone else get stuck with something OTHER than Ubuntu during the day? Does it make you like Linux more or less?

Were you forced into using Symantec Antivirus?

Otherwise why don't you get a better alternative? Avast for example.
And btw., there is no need for scanning your computer daily aslong you have a solid firewall and good browsing habits (Not browsing suspicious pages, downloading from dodgy sites etc.), maybe more like every tenth day, or just keep it running constantly on lowest speed so it uses minimum of ressources and won't bother you.

Btw., Microsoft is working on an AV, and previews from different sources already states that it doesn't slow the system down at all and its very good in capturing threats.

I know it is a hassle compared to the easiness of Ubuntu, but it is very easy to make it worse than it actually is.

Diggs808
July 20th, 2009, 05:02 PM
Were you forced into using Symantec Antivirus?

Yep, forced to by company policy. The large educational institution's IT Department has a corporate version of it that we are required to use by policy.

..there is no need for scanning your computer daily ..

Symantec is set up to scan every Wednesday at 12 Noon (I do not have the ability to change this!! :-( ) . When they assume that most people are gone to lunch. The problem is, I usually take lunch at my desk and go home an hour earlier (one of the reasons I like working here...flexible schedule). Wednesday, I was out of the office on when the scan was supposed to run and when I started the computer and got forced into allowing it to run since it was not run on Wednesday. I am all about setting good, solid policy. However, if I had my druthers, I would allow everyone to select a day and time to run it.

bodhi.zazen
July 20th, 2009, 06:09 PM
Yep, forced to by company policy. The large educational institution's IT Department has a corporate version of it that we are required to use by policy.

Symantec is set up to scan every Wednesday at 12 Noon (I do not have the ability to change this!! :-( ) . When they assume that most people are gone to lunch. The problem is, I usually take lunch at my desk and go home an hour earlier (one of the reasons I like working here...flexible schedule). Wednesday, I was out of the office on when the scan was supposed to run and when I started the computer and got forced into allowing it to run since it was not run on Wednesday. I am all about setting good, solid policy. However, if I had my druthers, I would allow everyone to select a day and time to run it.

Thread closed.

First this sounds like a Windows support question. We are a large and busy forums and are trying to send Fedora support => Fedora forums , Arch => Arch , Gentoo => Gentoo.

In your case, from the description in your last post I suggest you start with you IT department, they after all are responsible for these things.

Second go to a Windows forum, but it is hard to advise you modify a system at work without the blessing of your IT department.