PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 9.04 commands available ???

NOTAGEEK
July 15th, 2009, 03:37 AM
I have a total of about 2.5 months of pc experience windows (laptop stolen) until 2 weeks ago... that is when i found this forum on a borrowed win 98 machine... last week i got my quad core desktop, installed 9.04 and have more or less forgotten abt windows...

i have asked some dumb questions so i might as well ask a few more...

is there something on 9.04 similar to system restore ???

i never read/hear anything about defragging the hdd... is it still needed or does linux keep that done in some way ???

thanks for input...

nhasian
July 15th, 2009, 03:40 AM
no need for defrag on ext3/ext4 partitions. for system restore checkout Back In Time (http://www.ubuntugeek.com/back-in-time-a-simple-backup-tool-for-ubuntu.html)

really all you need to backup is your /home directory. you can do that easily with gsrync or sbackup.

NOTAGEEK
July 15th, 2009, 04:15 AM
no need for defrag on ext3/ext4 partitions. for system restore checkout Back In Time (http://www.ubuntugeek.com/back-in-time-a-simple-backup-tool-for-ubuntu.html)

really all you need to backup is your /home directory. you can do that easily with gsrync or sbackup.

super... im sure this will help in the future when i increase my skill level more... until then i understood some for now... i can refer back to my threads soon and do back in "time"...

thanks...

kennethadammiller
July 15th, 2009, 04:18 AM
you should also check out remastersys, its a tool that can back up both your entire linux configuration and your GRUB (If you don't know what that is, boot loader)

:). Really good. So that when you reinstall, all you programs are still on.
Don't forget to backup your home directory along with any wallpapers, emerald themes, gtk themes, compiz settings (that is, export them) ect

NOTAGEEK
July 15th, 2009, 04:22 AM
you should also check out remastersys, its a tool that can back up both your entire linux configuration and your GRUB (If you don't know what that is, boot loader)

:). Really good. So that when you reinstall, all you programs are still on.
Don't forget to backup your home directory along with any wallpapers, emerald themes, gtk themes, compiz settings (that is, export them) ect

yikes !!!

snakeman21
July 15th, 2009, 05:19 AM
In case you're wonder why you never need to defrag, here it is in a nutshell: ext3 and ext4 prevent fragments from happening in the first place. This results in the system taking slightly longer to save files. However, this difference is hardly noticeable. So you never really see it happening, but it makes a huge difference when you don't have to spend an hour or more defragmenting your hard drive.

Hospadar
July 15th, 2009, 05:28 AM
In short, there is no system restore. The thing most people do is just backup their home directory (i.e. /home/yourusername) and then if things go south, re-install, restore your home directory, and all your personal settings are back to normal, then you re-install whatever programs you had before and off you go.

There are tools to take snapshots of drives and potentially restore them, but in the linux world those are generally more geared towards enterprises and would be way overkill for a single user.

Basically, if you're worried about loosing documents, user data, firefox setup, whatever, backup your home drive.
If you're worried about system-wide settings, driver setups, what have you, then back up everything.

On my work machine I have a job that every day at midnight, rsyncs (a copy that skips unchanged files) to our server, so if I show up in the morning and things are missing, no biggie.

Be not afraid of the command line, especially for things like backup, there is no better tool, you'll get precise control of what you want to backup, when you want to do it, and anything else you can think of.

If you don't know about rsync or cron (the job scheduler that I use, as well as every other linux admin ever) just look them up on the google and it'll show you how they are used. Try "cron tutorial" or "rsync tutorial" Wikipedia can actually be a good resource if you're just trying to figure out what a command or program does.

NOTAGEEK
July 15th, 2009, 12:37 PM
In short, there is no system restore. The thing most people do is just backup their home directory (i.e. /home/yourusername) and then if things go south, re-install, restore your home directory, and all your personal settings are back to normal, then you re-install whatever programs you had before and off you go.

There are tools to take snapshots of drives and potentially restore them, but in the linux world those are generally more geared towards enterprises and would be way overkill for a single user.

Basically, if you're worried about loosing documents, user data, firefox setup, whatever, backup your home drive.
If you're worried about system-wide settings, driver setups, what have you, then back up everything.

On my work machine I have a job that every day at midnight, rsyncs (a copy that skips unchanged files) to our server, so if I show up in the morning and things are missing, no biggie.

Be not afraid of the command line, especially for things like backup, there is no better tool, you'll get precise control of what you want to backup, when you want to do it, and anything else you can think of.

If you don't know about rsync or cron (the job scheduler that I use, as well as every other linux admin ever) just look them up on the google and it'll show you how they are used. Try "cron tutorial" or "rsync tutorial" Wikipedia can actually be a good resource if you're just trying to figure out what a command or program does.

ahhhh specifics... this is the kind of non-geek talk and explination that i need... between your post and your ubuntu community docs link (and links inside it) i feel that i can tag this thread solved...

thanks for the input...

thread solved...