PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Using old wireless router as a bridge...?

sylvainrb
July 14th, 2009, 11:32 AM
I have an old desktop with no wireless capabilities. I thought of buying of a wireless card (USB) but I read that it is hard to set up in Ubuntu.

Here it is: I have wi-fi in the house but the desktop is too far to be connected directly into the router. I have another router that I don't use and was wondering if I could use it as a bridge, meaning it catches the wireless signal and I can plug in the desktop directly in it using an ethernet cable.

I don't have the specific make of the router (I'll be home in a week) but is it possible on any router or is the process different for each specific router?

Thanks!

stinger30au
July 14th, 2009, 11:35 AM
i cant see why not. but the exytra router you want to add in it will have to be assigned a static ip, and disable dhcp on it and it should do the trick

its basically called as a repeater on the network and you can have 3 repeaters on a network before you get in to strife

sylvainrb
July 14th, 2009, 11:43 AM
i cant see why not. but the exytra router you want to add in it will have to be assigned a static ip, and disable dhcp on it and it should do the trick

its basically called as a repeater on the network and you can have 3 repeaters on a network before you get in to strife

For the static ip, you mean an ip address that the router connected to the cable assigned to the other router?