PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Using Asian Languages

winjeel
July 14th, 2009, 02:20 AM
I've run into this problem a few times, and it's frustrating. When using "Anthy" for Japanese language input, it does not offer the right Chinese Characters (kanji) for the input. For instance, "bento" does not show the characters that mean and are used for "bento". It's like typing in English and everytime you type the word "lunchbox" it replaces it with "tupperware". Is there a better input system?

winjeel
July 19th, 2009, 03:57 AM
Sorry to bump this, but it's been a while.

esalnoj
July 19th, 2009, 04:03 AM
Is your keyboard type properly set?

What of language settings?

Both should be in preferences.

winjeel
July 19th, 2009, 04:41 AM
Thanks for replying.

I've set my keyboard from "Generic" to "Dell Latitude Laptop", but that seems to be a side issue. I didn't notice anything misplaced as I've typed in the past, but that relates to the Roman Alphabet. However, even after setting that, the "Candidates" for "bento" are still incorrect. There ought to be two Chinese characters for the word 'bento', but instead it offers one, and then the wrong syllabary for the second character. It seems as if either the candidate dictionary is incomplete, not working properly, or not produced properly.

Do remember that there's five scripts that are used in Japan, Chinese characters, hiragana, katakana, roman alphabet, and arabic numbers. The dictionary should offer candidates that use the first four of these, but it doesn't offer near enough candidates.

powel212
July 19th, 2009, 04:51 AM
Hi

I love my Ubuntu but the Asian language support is still in early development stages.

I myself type English and Traditional Chinese. Unfortunately in Ubuntu I can only type Simplified Chinese to my liking as Traditional is as yet not maturely developed.

What I do to fix this is to run Win xp in a Sun Virtualbox. Windows Language support for typing is much more mature.

Doing it this way I don't have to reboot or use another computer and I can still type in Chinese and print, save, and share my Chinese documents. It is the best solution I have found. If anyone knows an entirely Linux way to address this issue I would love to hear about it.

I hope that helps

Powel

Sun virtualbox also allows me to run some windows only programs like iTunes...
http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_Downloads

attached is a photo of me using it.

winjeel
July 19th, 2009, 05:09 AM
thanks for the reply. It must be pretty annoying to only have simplified available. Here's hoping a more mature version comes out sooner than later.

I'd never seen "virtual box" before. It looks interesting. I think this thread may deviate a little. I use LightRoom in Windows XP (on the other partition), as I haven't been pleased with the colour in Linux. Though, I don't know if you can calibrate a monitor in Linux, and LightRoom is such an efficient program to use (really worth paying 30,000 yen for). How do you find using LightRoom / Windows via Virtual Box, and especially for maintaining accurate colours?

btw, thanks for the screenshot. :)

powel212
July 19th, 2009, 07:26 AM
Using Lightroom in a virtualbox is no problem t all. Having a fast processor and extra ram is very helpful though. As for colors. I mostly post my pics on the web so monitor calibration is not so important for me. If I were printing my images I would certainly spend more time in calibrating my monitor. I have Nvidia graphics and the driver in Ubuntu is very good and allows for color correction so it should not be too difficult to get it sorted.

Attached is an image of my Nvidia driver controls.

Powel

winjeel
July 19th, 2009, 07:58 AM
Cheers. :D