PDA

View Full Version : Ultimate Migration Tool

Martin Marshalek
July 13th, 2009, 08:30 PM
I have used Ubuntu intermittently for about a year now but I don't like having to dual boot on a system that has only 100GB for both operating systems. Nothing I use on Windows cannot run in Wine (by which I mean games) but there are saves and product keys I don't want to have to mess with transferring.

I was wondering if there is a tool that can transfer all (or select) Windows programs to WINE on an Ubuntu partition. It would also have to transfer the registry. I'm not sure if this would be impossible, but if there is an app like this, it would be great.

Also, is there a way to heavily compress a partition from say 50GB to maybe 10GB (that way I could compress my Windows drive and put it in a compressed file on a flash drive in case I needed to reinstall Windows).

LewRockwell
July 13th, 2009, 08:40 PM
hard drives are dime a dozen these days

pick up a used one from a friend/acquaintance/craigslist/whatever

and get an external drive enclosure or use one of these like I do:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812104062

http://www.coolmaxusa.com/productDetails.asp?item=CD-350-COMBO&details=features&subcategory=converter&category=converter

***(10-10-09:Note that recent product reports seem to indicate that there is an electrical problem when using this device with SATA drives that may cause damage/destruction to your equipment...we are in the process of an analysis and investigation into this issue and so far we believe a design flaw does indeed exist)***(10-11-09:We have determined that a design defect DOES EXIST and an extender should be used between the power connector and the adapter so you can cut the red wire to stop the 5 volt connection that is damaging/destroying various components INCLUDING MOTHERBOARDS...An advisement has been sent to CoolMaxUSA but feel free to remind them!)***

then use something like Clonezilla to do a partition to partition and/or disk to disk clone

as always, your mileage may vary...

Martin Marshalek
July 13th, 2009, 08:49 PM
True, I might look into that in a few months but right now I'm somewhat strapped for cash and really can't buy a new hard drive right now (I was thinking of getting a 250 and replacing my current drive). I was just curious if such an application existed.