PDA

View Full Version : Kernel 2.6.9 released

FLeiXiuS
October 19th, 2004, 04:53 PM
Linux creator Linus Torvalds released the official 2.6.9 kernel today, following what he referred to as "naming confusion" in which a test release named "-final" was first uploaded to kernel.org. Linus went on to add, "excuses aside, not a lot of changes since -rc4 (which was the last announced test-kernel), mainly some UML updates that don't affect anybody else. And a number of one-liners or compiler fixes. Full list appended." Official releases and test kernels can be found at a kernel.org mirror

Time to recompile :-) I'm pleased to see how the new kernel works on Ubuntu. Give me feedback if you receive any postive/negatives during compiling.

Rancoras
October 19th, 2004, 05:16 PM
I think I'll wait until the devs give us a package. (nudge nudge, wink wink, say no more say no more)

Smeggy
October 22nd, 2004, 02:56 AM
If it ain't broke don't fix it. If you're doing fine with kernel 2.8.1, you don't need to worry much IMO :)

HungSquirrel
October 22nd, 2004, 04:13 AM
Hopefully 2.6.9 fixes the acpi_power_off issue.

FLeiXiuS
October 22nd, 2004, 05:37 AM
Ive had my share of problems getting X to start with 2.6.9 :-P. After I got it working its quite sweet! :lol:

renato
October 22nd, 2004, 09:23 AM
Does anybody know if the bug that would not let K3B work as user in 2.6.8 has been fixed?

HungSquirrel
November 5th, 2004, 07:46 AM
Anybody know if a 2.6.9 package will be released in Warty or Hoary? I'd recompile but I'm lazy.

chet
November 12th, 2004, 03:48 AM
Does anybody know if it has the drivers in for the netgear WG511 wireless card?, I would compile it but do not know how to

Thanks

panickedthumb
November 12th, 2004, 04:35 AM
I think I'll wait until the devs give us a package. (nudge nudge, wink wink, say no more say no more)
Nice reference. I wonder how many people will get it.

"Is your wife a goer? eh? eh?"
"Why yes, she ...goes places."
"Oh I bet she does I bet she does."
"wink wink snap snap green green say no more say no more"

Sorry to digress from topic, but I can't pass up a Python reference. The British comedy troup, not the programming language.

JProgrammer
November 12th, 2004, 06:15 AM
Nice reference. I wonder how many people will get it.

"Is your wife a goer? eh? eh?"
"Why yes, she ...goes places."
"Oh I bet she does I bet she does."
"wink wink snap snap green green say no more say no more"

Sorry to digress from topic, but I can't pass up a Python reference. The British comedy troup, not the programming language.
Well the programming language is named after the comedy group :P

panickedthumb
November 12th, 2004, 06:22 AM
Well the programming language is named after the comedy group :P
*gasp* really? I never knew that! schweet

HiddenWolf
November 13th, 2004, 01:05 PM
Can anyone list something that is really worth upgrading to the 2.6.9 kernel for.

I have no problems at the moment, but if I hear things like *speed* I might be tempted.

panickedthumb
November 13th, 2004, 05:44 PM
Yeah, speed, better <something that I need> support, stability... if I hear one of those I'll be tempted as well, but I'll probably just wait for the package to hit the repos because I'm lazy ;)