PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] How to filter pidgin contact notifications in indicator-applet?

MrPok
July 13th, 2009, 02:12 PM
Hello (and welcome to my first post! ;))

I have used Ubuntu 9.04 for some time now and I have figured most things out by googling or searching the various Linux forums. There is plenty of help/advice/tutorials/etc. available. However, I can't seem to find how to fix his "inconvenience".

This is the case:
Every time any of my contacts comes online, the indicator applet shows the black toaster box notification in the upper-right part of the screen.
I would like to restrict this to *only* show the the contacts that are either

in some group of my Pidgin contact list, OR
belong to a pre-defined list of contacts (say for example, some of my friends and my father)

The point is that the notifier is useful and quite "stylish", but since I use this setup for work, I don't want to be bothered by notification pop-ups showing people coming on-line that I hardly ever speak. (So, you could say I'd just like to polish my desktop experience with as few distractions as possible haha)

I have experience in programming Java and (very) limited in scripting. But hey, I don't mind learning how to do program/script this in C/Python/whatever myself ...as long as somebody can point me in the right direction.

[On a more general note: it would be nice to be able to filter notifications on a higher level, for example only allowing notification that contain some keywords to be actually displayed.]

Any help is much appreciated!
Cheers

P.S.: I hope that I've placed this thread in the right forum section, but since this is my first post, feel free to move it to the appropriate section.;)

NESFreak
July 13th, 2009, 07:09 PM
sounds like at least a partial rewrite of pidgins libnotify plug-in. Which is written in C.*

However, pidgin has a pretty neat D-BUS interface, which means you could basically disable the internal libnotify plugin, and instead use any other language that supports D-BUS and libnotify. For for instance the python programming language i came across some nice examples of interacting with both dbus and libnotify. (I'm sorry i can't remember where i found them**) The downside of this is that it requires you to run your 'notifier' as a separate application.

*download the pidgin-libnotify source using

apt-get source pidgin-libnotify

**some quick links google came up with:
http://developer.pidgin.im/wiki/DbusHowto
http://roscidus.com/desktop/node/336