PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] Firefox 3.5

old_dope
July 13th, 2009, 10:06 AM
I am already running Firefox 3 but would like to upgrade to the latest version 3.5. The only problem is i would have to download a file:
firefox-3.5.tar.bz2 to my desktop . Could someone tell me how i proceed from here please. Thanks

CatKiller
July 13th, 2009, 10:19 AM
firefox-3.5 is in the repositories.

gjoellee
July 13th, 2009, 10:29 AM
Firefox 3.5 is in the repo.

Click on the link, to install firefox 3.5: apt://firefox-3.5

t0p
July 13th, 2009, 12:12 PM
I take it you downloaded firefox-3.5.tar.bz2 from www.getfirefox.com? Okay, you need to right-click it and select Extract to here. A folder called Firefox will appear. Inside the folder is a shell script, also called Firefox. You run that script, and it runs Firefox 3.5 for you.

If you move that Firefox folder to your home directory, you can start Firefox 3.5 with the command

~/firefox/firefox

Or you can right-click on a panel and add a launcher that runs the command.

Of course, you can do as the others advised, and install Firefox 3.5 from the repositories, with the command

sudo apt-get install firefox-3.5

But when I did that last week, what I got was the beta, with the code-name "Shiretoko". That archive you get from www.getfirefox.com is not a beta. It is not a "release candidate". It is the final version of Firefox 3.5. But of course, if you don't install through apt-get, or at least a .deb, you won't get automatic updates. Your choice.

CatKiller
July 13th, 2009, 12:44 PM
But when I did that last week, what I got was the beta, with the code-name "Shiretoko".

While Shiretoko was the development name for Firefox 3.5, the version you had was not the beta; it was the final release. The decision was made to keep the Shiretoko branding since Firefox 3.0 and Firefox 3.5 are designed to work well side-by-side, so only one of them could be called "Firefox." Since Firefox 3.0 was the version that was available when Jaunty was released, that was the one that got to be called "Firefox." When Karmic comes out, Firefox 3.5 will be the default, and so that is the one that will get to be called "Firefox."

More details here (http://www.asoftsite.org/s9y/archives/161-FAQ-Why-is-my-firefox-3.5-still-called-Shiretoko.html).

JohnLau
July 13th, 2009, 01:20 PM
click here to install firefox 3.5.
If you want to make it your default browser, please follow my guide (http://compustorm.no-ip.org/2009/07/howto-install-firefox-3-5-on-ubuntu-jaunty/)

old_dope
July 13th, 2009, 03:33 PM
I have checked in both Synaptic Package Manager and Add/Remove and Firefox-3.5 is not there!

I clicked on the links provided by (gjoelee) and (JohnLau) and nothing happened?

I also tried opening a terminal and typing:

sudo apt-get install firefox-3.5

as suggested by t0p and was rewarded with the following:

E: Couldn't find package firefox-3.5

What's going on?

CatKiller
July 13th, 2009, 03:38 PM
What's going on?

It's in the Universe repository.

Actually, if you're still on Intrepid, it might not be in the Intrepid repository. Just the Jaunty one.

I believe there's a script called UbuntuZilla that is able to download and install the newest version if you still want to stay on Intrepid.

twright
July 13th, 2009, 03:39 PM
You can run firefox from the downloaded archive perfectly well, all you need to do is extract it to your home folder and then drag and drop the firefox file onto the panel. If you want to replace the default firefox with it you can do so by opening a terminal and typing:
sudo ln -s <path to new firefox> /usr/local/bin/firefox

Short__Error
July 13th, 2009, 03:41 PM
So is this the final version of FF-3.5 or just another beta version???

philinux
July 13th, 2009, 03:42 PM
So is this the final version of FF-3.5 or just another beta version???

see post #5

Garyhans
July 13th, 2009, 04:04 PM
Thanks so much for this thread. Installed flawlessly. Java works. Flash on youtube crashes when full screen is selected. I had to disable hardware acceleration in flash to get full screen to work just like I did with 3.0 Version. But on the bright side I noticed quite a speed increase in Browsing. Thanks Again.

old_dope
July 13th, 2009, 05:37 PM
I have found Firefox but it's already installed so that must be Firefox 3. Perhaps the problem lies with the fact that i am running Xubuntu 8.10? I did try to upgrade Xubuntu from 8.10 to 9.04 from inside the Update Manager but for some reason this wouldn't take so i re-installed Xubuntu 8.10. O woe is me!

DizzyEwok
July 13th, 2009, 05:45 PM
Just install it from the repositores mate.

lovinglinux
July 13th, 2009, 08:42 PM
For future reference...

The 4 most popular methods of installation of Firefox 3.5 (Psychocats, Ubuntuzilla, Repository, Shiretoko/Swiftfox) are available in the "Install Other Versions" section of the Firefox optimization and troubleshooting thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1193567).

There is also a detailed explanation of each installation method provided, comparing the most important differences. I personally tested all of them and they work like a charm, but I recommend methods 1 (Psychocats) and 2 (Ubuntuzilla).

5nak3
July 13th, 2009, 08:48 PM
Just my $0.02, I followed LovingLinux's tutorial choosing method 1 and it works a treat, and I'm on Hardy (8.04).

Give it a go, you should be fine with it!

maxpoweron
July 14th, 2009, 01:27 AM
I submitted a post asking how to upgrade Firefox 3.0.11 to 3.5. I found a separate post stating install Ubuntuzilla. It worked great for my PC running Ubuntu 9.04. The link is at

http://ubuntumanual.org/posts/193/installing-firefox-3-5-in-ubuntu-the-easy-way

JohnLau
July 14th, 2009, 02:33 AM
Which version of ubuntu are you using? It is only availible on the official Jaunty(9.04) update repository. If you are using older version of ubuntu, you'll have to add a software source
https://launchpad.net/~fta/+archive/ppa
Visit this page for details
John

colau
August 15th, 2009, 02:51 PM
Easiest way to install firefox-3.5!
psychocats (http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/firefox)