PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Question on WiFi - thanks!

listerdl
July 13th, 2009, 09:23 AM
Hi, my machine only picks up secured wifi, the problem is that mine is currently unsecured and is called 'default' - problem is that ubuntu and its wifi detection system only wants to find secured wifi networks...

Any idea how it can search for unsecured?

Thanks!

cozmicharlie
July 13th, 2009, 03:12 PM
Are you sure you are broadcasting your network? Try going to the network applet and clicking on "connect to hidden wireless network" - add your network and see if it connects. Is there a reason for not having your network secure?

NESFreak
July 13th, 2009, 04:15 PM
Are you sure you are broadcasting your network? Try going to the network applet and clicking on "connect to hidden wireless network" - add your network and see if it connects. Is there a reason for not having your network secure?

what wifi channel is your router set to use? In europe a broader spectrum is used compared to the us, to which ubuntu defaults. Try setting the channel in your router to something < 10. (you could also change the region of your wifi tuner in your ubuntubox, but this is easier) Also to improve the quality, try setting the router to a channel not used by one of your neighbors.

listerdl
July 13th, 2009, 04:27 PM
TO be honest I have had such a nightmare trying to secure the network that I have given up trying to figure it out....what I do is that when I am awaya I simpply turn it off....not very scientific I know... - thanks for the tips..

cozmicharlie
July 13th, 2009, 08:10 PM
TO be honest I have had such a nightmare trying to secure the network that I have given up trying to figure it out....what I do is that when I am awaya I simpply turn it off....not very scientific I know... - thanks for the tips..

No not a very secure method. I would be willing to help you set up your security if you want to try again. I hate to see you without security - it is really dangerous. If you want to give it a shot, just post back with your specs (router type etc) and I would be glad to help. If not then at least make sure you are not broadcasting your unsecured address (you should have a on/off switch in the router control to turn off broadcasting).