PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Removing Python

Poincare101
July 13th, 2009, 04:13 AM
I was trying to find out what
sudo apt-get autoremove does and I tried on python. Know, a lot of gnome depends on python and luckily I stopped it midway. But, I'm still missing the gnome file browser and a lot of things. How can I get these back without reinstalling Ubuntu? How can I reinstall gnome?

rockerphil
July 13th, 2009, 04:45 AM
the first thing that pops to mind for me would be to run

sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop

that normally installs everything that Gnome carries. hope this helps,

Phil

kpkeerthi
July 13th, 2009, 05:31 AM
man apt-get

Poincare101
July 13th, 2009, 02:46 PM
the first thing that pops to mind for me would be to run

sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop

that normally installs everything that Gnome carries. hope this helps,

Phil
It did install well but know I have a new problem. The computer comes out of shutdown, and I log in. But, then the screen is just grey and despite me moving the mouse for 5 minutes it just stays grey and the desktop or anything doesn't appear. What should I do?

DustyMP
July 13th, 2009, 03:07 PM
Try this. When your login screen appears press ctrl+alt+F1. This lets you access a terminal only version of your system. At the prompt enter your username. Next enter your password. Let's make sure gnome installed correctly by entering:

sudo apt-get install -f gnome

If there are any broken dependencies or anything the -f switch will attempt to fix them. When it's all said and done and you're back to the prompt enter:

logout

This should take you back to the login screen you're used to seeing. Try logging in again.

Poincare101
July 13th, 2009, 05:14 PM
Nope. Still not working :(

DustyMP
July 13th, 2009, 05:22 PM
Ok, you mentioned before you tried autoremove on python and halted halfway through, so follow the same process as before and after you log into the terminal enter:

sudo apt-get install -f python

Then logout and try again.

Poincare101
July 13th, 2009, 08:17 PM
When I used that command, it doesn't install anything and i'm back in the same position after I log out.

Java Geek
July 13th, 2009, 08:53 PM
Maybe your issue is when you install, your internet is not working so it cant download it. If you are running on wireless, try a direct link to your modem and try again.