PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Replacement for Vuze

osc1882
July 13th, 2009, 04:07 AM
Hello. Right now I'm useing Vuze but want to replace it with something lighter but just as powerful. Does anyone recommend anything? I was thinking Ktorrent but I don't know if it will do everything I want it to do. Maybe Utorrent under wine?

I will be running around 1000 torrents at a time and will be running more in time. I will need to create / run the same torrent on multipliable private trackers and I know you can do that with vuze by creating one for one private tracker, creating the next and vuze will see that it's the same torrent with a different tracker and co-bind them on my computer. Can Ktorrent or Utorrent do that?

Also I'm guessing not, but is there any way to move my 1000ish torrents to another client with out doing it one at a time?

mano cazalet
July 13th, 2009, 04:16 AM
deluge maybe?

rockerphil
July 13th, 2009, 04:27 AM
Transmission is another good one

osc1882
July 13th, 2009, 05:23 AM
So is there anyone who is like NO DON"T USE KTORRENT? Or anyone who is a heavy torrent user who says that I should use XXXX for sure?

note32
July 13th, 2009, 05:24 AM
Use ktorrent is epic;) and you can encrypt your torrents with it

Jimleko211
July 13th, 2009, 05:25 AM
I think pretty much any torrent program will work. Transmission is the default one for Gnome, though.

konqueror7
July 13th, 2009, 05:34 AM
i would go with transmission here, i just recently switched to it because deluge was causing me some major performance issues...the downside is that you don't have many options on configuring transmission, it only has those basic settings.

vinutux
July 13th, 2009, 06:11 AM
Deluge is best after vuze....

lovinglinux
July 13th, 2009, 06:56 AM
Deluge is best after vuze....

Deluge is better than Vuze :)

i would go with transmission here, i just recently switched to it because deluge was causing me some major performance issues...the downside is that you don't have many options on configuring transmission, it only has those basic settings.

You should try version 1.1.9, since it addresses the performance issue.

konqueror7
July 13th, 2009, 09:53 AM
@lovinglinux
already got version 1.1.9, still the same...;)

vinutux
July 13th, 2009, 01:29 PM
@lovinglinux
already got version 1.1.9, still the same...;)

Download from new PPA not from get-deb

https://launchpad.net/~deluge-team/+archive/ppa

konqueror7
July 14th, 2009, 06:16 AM
Download from new PPA not from get-deb

https://launchpad.net/~deluge-team/+archive/ppa

oh, and i already got the PPA for deluge, as of now, transmission fits my needs...if only there would be a native uTorrent for linux (not the one with wine), that would be great, deluge + transmission < uTorrent

vinutux
July 14th, 2009, 06:29 AM
Check out the list of bittorrent client available for ubuntu

http://www.ubuntugeek.com/list-of-bittorrent-clients-available-in-ubuntu.html

manualqr
July 14th, 2009, 07:05 AM
imo if you're going to be running 1000+ torrents, you may want to use a compiled app.
Deluge is my favorite torrent client by far, but the Python in it will eat your memory rapidly..

I suggest rTorrent. It's a command-line app, but once you get to know it - it feels natural (and runs great).