PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] YASNQ (Yet Another Stupid Newbie Q) - How do I find a Windows XP public shared drive

hawkeyex
July 13th, 2009, 01:32 AM
First a little background:

I run Kubuntu Jaunty, and not very familiar with Samba, so I could use some help there.

My wife has a shared drive on her Windoze computer (XP). Name of the computer is leahcomp, and the shared drive is called Sharedocs. Most importantly, I need to be able to see my wife's computer on the network. She is running XP Professional. Workgroup is called BLEH (not real, but can't reveal it since it includes my last name).

I would LOVE an excellent step-by-step instructions on how to do that. I have photos that I normally dump to my wife's computer, and she likes to keep an album on Facebook, so I'm trying to accomodate her. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

David

bonzini
July 13th, 2009, 02:13 AM
Assuming you're using Ubuntu not Kubuntu nor Xubuntu go to Places on the menu bar at the top, then slide down that menu and click on Network and see what's there.

bonzini
July 13th, 2009, 02:15 AM
oops sorry and THEN I saw the [kubuntu] on your post... :redface: :redface:

swerdna
July 13th, 2009, 09:06 AM
First a little background:

I run Kubuntu Jaunty, and not very familiar with Samba, so I could use some help there.

My wife has a shared drive on her Windoze computer (XP). Name of the computer is leahcomp, and the shared drive is called Sharedocs. Most importantly, I need to be able to see my wife's computer on the network. She is running XP Professional. Workgroup is called BLEH (not real, but can't reveal it since it includes my last name).

I would LOVE an excellent step-by-step instructions on how to do that. I have photos that I normally dump to my wife's computer, and she likes to keep an album on Facebook, so I'm trying to accomodate her. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

David
This might be useful, because it works for Kubuntu too, despite the emphasis on the word Ubuntu: The Samba LAN Primer for Ubuntu: HowTo Set up an Ubuntu-Windows Home & Office LAN/Network (http://ubuntu.swerdna.org/ubulanprimer.html)

oldfred
July 13th, 2009, 09:11 PM
dmizer has posted this howto: Fix Windows share browsing issues
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1169149